President Grigsby Responds to Petition: Flag to Remain at Full-Mast

Photo courtesy of Moravian College

Moravian College President Bryon Grigsby responded this afternoon to a petition to fly the American flag on campus at half-mast. The petition — which was signed by nearly 300 faculty, students, and alumni, among others — was in protest of President Trump’s recent executive order to ban the entry of citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen into the United States.

The full text of President Grigsby’s response, as sent via email to the Moravian College community at 1:56 pm, follows:

Dear Moravian Community,

I appreciate the passionate concern expressed for our international students, faculty, and community in light of the recent presidential executive order temporarily barring entry into the United States from seven specific countries. I believe deeply that our strength as a college community and society increases as we embrace diversity. We are a stronger country because of our immigrant roots, and we are a stronger college because of our international students.

I have given the petition to fly the flag at half-staff a great deal of consideration, and while I recognize the interest in a visual institutional response, I do not believe this action is the correct response for Moravian College, nor do I believe it will result in the desired message. I think doing so would continue to further divide us as a college and a nation by favoring one ideology over another and requiring us to explain what we mean by the action. It would continue to distract us from the main issues facing our college, and this country, and pit individual against individual. Finally, it is often a misunderstanding that the flag can be flown at half-staff at the will of a college president or other local official, which is not the case. For clarification regarding the Flag Code, and issuance of an order to lower the flag to half-staff as a memorial salute, please see http://www.usflag.org/nffhalfstaff.html

I will continue to advocate for the rights of international students, scholars, and staff to study and travel freely in the United States.

We are also exploring an initiative where we place banners of celebration in the hands of the Comenius statue. These banners would praise our educational history, mission and values.

I encourage all of you to seek out your elected representatives and let them know how you feel about the issues before our country. I also encourage you to support those within our community who are made to feel uncomfortable by these policy changes, and those that advocate a different position. Please show them what an inclusive, caring community looks and feels like–one where they can openly debate diverse issues and opinions and still remain collegial. We have done this since 1742. May we remain true to that sentiment now and in the future.

Thank you,
Bryon Grigsby