Studying Abroad For Your Education — and Your Life

Have you considered studying abroad? Don’t know if it’s right for you? Concerned about the price? To learn more, I headed over to the HUB last month where the the annual Spring Education Abroad Fair was being held.

Moravian offers an array of study abroad programs, including international internships, faculty-led programs, and college exchange programs, which include colleges from Canada all the way to Australia. It also offers affiliated programs, through which  you can study with other institutions and still receive college credit here.

I spoke with representatives from the Knowledge Exchange Institute who explained what it offers. KEI’s goal is to provide study abroad programs that allow students to complete general education and major specific requirements, while still gaining experience and enhancing their perception of the world.

“We have a wide range of programs and countries to study in,” said Lisa, a KEI representative. “We have programs available for almost every major, and we can help you find the right place for you. We want to make this process as smooth as possible.” When asked about any requirements for the program, she mentioned a few. “Most of our programs have a minimum GPA requirement of a 2.5. There is an short application that requires a personal statement and a letter of recommendation, as well as an application fee.”

Most study abroad programs at Moravian have similar requirements. You can check out the specifics for your program of interest on Moravian College’s website.

For some students, studying abroad for a full semester is not an option. With strict major requirements, sport commitments, and involvement in clubs, students find it challenging to spend that much time away from campus. That’s why Moravian offers May and summer term programs. This year Moravian-led, short-term programs are taking students to a number of locales, including those in Spain and Japan.

What about the cost? Study abroad costs can vary, depending on what program you travel with or how long you plan on going. Moravian does help you find and apply for scholarships, including the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program and the Boren Awards, which offer financial assistance of anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000.

Affiliated programs also offer help with scholarships, too.

Studying abroad is something that all students should consider during their time here, no matter what their major. The skills, experience, and networking you gain in another country are not only valuable to future employers, but to yourself as well. There is a big wide world out there that is just waiting to be explored, and Moravian College wants to help you discover it.