NORTH vs. SOUTH, PART II: One College, Two Campuses, Ten Voices

Photo by: Sara Weidner

While it’s certainly not the Mason-Dixon Line, the one-mile-long gap separating Moravian College’s North and South campuses creates somewhat of a cultural divide at the school, offering both a unique opportunity and a challenge for its students.

In our print edition, Comenian staff writers, who have lived on both campuses, shared an in depth look at the differences of the locations. Now, we’re letting the students speak for themselves about the divide that exists, rating unique features of living on either side of the Moravian Mile.

North

Food – 8

“The Marketplace is one swipe for as much food as you want, and the Blue and Grey Cafe has grab and go fruit, which is something I really enjoy. The Blue and Grey Cafe is bigger than the Root Cellar. Therefore, it includes more food options. The Root Cellar only offers Dining Dollar items, which makes it hard to stop at because so many students are already out. One of the drawbacks this year is the fact that we can only swipe for unprocessed foods.” – Morgan Reiner ‘19

Housing – 5.5

“Living in the freshman dorms is kind of messy, but I was barely in my dorm, so it didn’t bother me. I was busy with clubs and school work and friends. I like the apartment style better than the freshman style dorms – mostly because you know everyone you’re living with and because you don’t have to share one bathroom with 40 people.” – Skylar Eidem ‘18

Transportation/Class Routine – 9.5

“I prefer North because all of my classes are there and I can walk to class so much faster. I think it’s great because everything is so close by. It’s easy to just get out of bed and go to class.”  – Kylie Chichura ‘19

Diversification of Students – 7.5

“I love the HUB. I always walk through the HUB. The HUB is really welcoming and you see people. I like how PPHAC is open 24 hours because I always do my homework there. I like how North campus has a mix of being modern, but quaint and historic.” – Katie Mayer ‘20

Location/Aesthetic – 8

“In terms of its location in respects to the classes it’s very convenient. That is what I like better about North than South, it is closer to classes. It is charming; it has Comenius, which is my favorite building on campus, and all of the freshman dorms, like Rau Hassler, Jo Smith, and Bernie Willie, are so picturesque. But I still think South is more aesthetic. I wish South campus was on North, if that makes sense. Or if North was on South, closer to Main Street.” – Alyssa Limbaugh ‘19

South

Food – 4

“Speaking about both dining locations (Clewell Hall and the Root Cellar), there just aren’t enough choices. At the Root Cellar, it’s basically the same thing with slight variations on flatbread. And I know it’s a flatbread cafe, but there should be a grill option down here so we can get stuff like burgers and fries and more beef options than strictly chicken. Even the packaged products you can buy with Dining Dollars are super overpriced. I can buy an entire cantaloupe for $2.99 and they give you cut up pieces in the small plastic cups for $2.99.” -Rachel Loughry ‘17

Housing – 9.5

“I have lived in both Main Hall and the HILL and both are awesome. The rooms in Main Hall are huge! I lived there my sophomore year and I got my exercise   running up and down the stairs. Living in the HILL is absolutely awesome. During snowstorms, I didn’t have to go anywhere! I had food, I had my mail, I had an elevator. Especially for carrying and transporting stuff for moving in and out, it was so easy. The rooms may not be as big as other places, but you have a full, nice kitchen, a computer lab so you don’t have to go anywhere. I felt really super safe in the HILL since you have to swipe to get into the building, swipe to get into the hallway, then two keys to get into the suite and your bedroom.- Julia George ‘17

Transportation (Shuttle)/Class Routine – 6

“The problem is that there really aren’t set schedules for the shuttles. Many times there are two going in the same direction or at the same spot at once. Sometimes it’s consistent, but other times I am late to this one class at 1:10-2:20 since the shuttles during that time are so [infrequent]. I find the app to be accurate though and I always use it.”- Kaitlyn Vitone ‘17

Diversification of Students- 9

“Given the quiet surroundings, it feels more relaxing to be down here (South Campus). You don’t have the constantly worry that at 3:00 a.m. you could be woken up by someone screaming at the top of their lungs at a party (ahem, Bernie-Willie). As a whole, people up North are those who tend to stay in their own clique and on South, since everyone has relatively similar tastes, it feels like one big community. There are fewer problems on South since many people share the same interests. You don’t have to try as hard to fit in and feel accepted. Diversity is good, but North Campus has too much of everything to the point where it’s hard for those who aren’t as outgoing to find their niche and friend group.” -Jon Fiore ‘18

Location/Aesthetic – 10

“I give the location/aesthetic category 10/10. It really gives you a feeling of coming home. You go up north, which is where the majority of people go for their classes and taking the shuttle at the end of the day is like your ‘drive home’ essentially. So it really gives you that separation of work and home by being able to go from North Campus to South Campus. If I were to live on North, it would feel like I’m at school 24/7.”- Shane Hansen ‘18