New Clewell Dining Hall Mostly Excites Students

While students were relaxing and enjoying Winter break, Clewell Dining Hall on South Campus was undergoing a massive reconstruction. Upon returning, students were greeted with updated food options and a revamped image.

I, along with many other students, enjoy the new Clewell. The space in the main dining hall feels more alive, a big improvement over the dreary white walls that many of us were used to seeing. 

The previous decor felt so uninviting that sometimes I was reluctant to even go, because the cold and empty space didn’t help my appetite. Now bright blue walls bring life to Clewell.

The changes in seating are also an improvement, with high tops, booth seating, and family-style tables, which varies how people can eat with one another without feeling so closed in.

The renovation also brought new ordering kiosks to the space which are similar to the ones used in the Blue & Grey Cafe’ on North Campus. This makes organizing made-to-order food easier on  the staff and ordering less of a hassle for students.

The kitchen also got an upgrade, with the new ordering system and food quality being the most notable features. People whom I have spoken with about the changes say that the quality has definitely improved. The food seems fresher, especially the made-to-order options, which are popular in Clewell dining.  

The addition of the convenience store is also welcome, because it gives students easy access to quick late meals, even after the kitchen shuts down.

Even with all of these fantastic improvements, there still are some grievances that students have about the new Clewell.

Many of the students that I interviewed miss the hot breakfast that was once served in Clewell.

I still want them to serve hot breakfast instead of only bagels every day for students who live on South and can’t go up North in time for classes,” said Sara Weidner, ‘18. “Literally any music student is unable to get a hot meal on South campus for breakfast, which is still unacceptable.”

Limited food options are another issue. Clewell has begun offering more healthy foods, but Patrick Martin ‘19 would like to see more, complaining that the healthy options are still limited to salad, pasta, and the occasional vegetarian dish.

Although some students still have complaints about the new Clewell Dining Hall there have been numerous  improvements that help make students’ dining experience much more enjoyable.

With the updated look, new food options, and better quality, I know that I will come more often to enjoy the revived experience Clewell offers.

1 Comment

One Response to “New Clewell Dining Hall Mostly Excites Students”

1. Christine Bainbridge, Dining Services on February 6th, 2018 11:13 am

I wanted to remind students about the resources available to help you with your Dining Needs. Anyone looking for healthier options should look for our “Mindful” apple logo on our menus – these foods are under 600 calories (most of them, significantly so) and lower in fat and sodium. On the menu today, 2/6, for example, we have a Mindful soup, our Vegetarian Entree is also Mindful, as is our made-to-order Chicken Philly cheesesteak and Grilled Chicken sandwich. And also, I’d like to remind students that Clewell serves a Vegetarian entree daily, plus has several Vegetarian made-to-order options as well. You can find out more information about the “Mindful” program that Moravian College Dining Services implements here: https://moravian.sodexomyway.com/health/index.html , and you can always find our menus at https://moravian.sodexomyway.com as well as on the Bite app.
    We’re glad you’re enjoying the new Clewell Dining, and as always, we encourage you to participate in the Dining Committee and our bi-annual survey to continue giving us feedback on what you like and what you don’t. Thank you!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New Clewell Dining Hall Mostly Excites Students

Community

Professor Spotlight: Joy Hirokawa

Campus Events

WISE Club Hosts Annual Science Day for Girl Scouts

Community

Professor Spotlight: Crystal Fodrey

Community

Professor Spotlight: Christopher Jones

Community

Moravian College Becomes a Little More Revolutionary with New Doctoral Program in Athletic Training

Community

Spotlight on Artist-Lecturer Megan Durham

Community

Moravian at Cutting Edge of Writing Ed

Community

“Welcome, Neighbor” Panel Celebrates Immigrants

Community

Peace and Justice Scholars in Residence Help Students Change their Minds and the World

Community

Dr. Frank Kuserk: A Life Fulfilled by the Work He Loved