Filed under News, Showcase

Moravian Now an “Apple Distinguished School”

Kristina+Szabo+and+John+Pilla+utilize+their+apple+products+to+complete+work+in+Reeves+library.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kristina Szabo and John Pilla utilize their apple products to complete work in Reeves library.

Emma Miller

Emma Miller

Emma Miller

On Oct. 23 Moravian College joined an elite group of schools around the globe known as “Apple Distinguished Schools.” Only 400 hundred schools can claim the prestigious title.

An Apple Distinguished School is one in which educators utilize iPads, Macs, apps, Multi-Touch books, and other digital materials to teach students.

Based on this recognition, Moravian has proven to Apple that the College’s administrative staff and professors are dedicated to using Apple products to their highest potential in a classroom environment.

The campus community utilizes Apple products in a variety of ways, providing entering Freshmen with MacBooks and iPads and using the company’s technology, including AirPlay

In order to be considered for the distinction, Moravian had to be nominated by a high-level Apple employee. The College then had to create an ebook that included the school’s vision, learning, teaching, environment, and results.

To create the book Nicholas Laird, the College’s Mac Systems Administrator, and IT Project Manager Colleen Marsh interviewed over 30 faculty and students who were using Apple technology. In addition to the interviews, Laird and Marsh identified courses that were harnessing the new technology to improve the classroom experience. The book they created is now publicly available and will be published by Apple in its iBook store in the coming weeks.

“Apple is allowing us into this community that they’ve created,” said Laird. “It will open up some doors for Moravian.”

Moravian now has the chance to be featured in ad campaigns run by Apple.

In addition by becoming an Apple Distinguished School, the College will be open to a whole new network of educational institutions and communities, allowing Moravian to host events and send students to events to better spread ideas and information.

“It’s not just opportunity: it is also an obligation on Moravian’s side to be part of a networking community and share information, to ultimately improve student experiences and education,” said Marsh.   

Once selected, each distinguished school will “serve” a two-year term, after which it will need to prove that it’s still improving the use of Apple technology on campus.

“This is a great opportunity for Moravian College and for its students to really get the most out of technology in the classroom,” said Marsh.