MoCo Hammering Out Details of Pass/Fail Option

Part of the email from President Bryon Grigsby announcing the new optional pass/fail policy sent on March 27.

Many students have been feeling the effects of moving classes online. 

Whether it is an increased number of assignments to make up for the lack of class discussion or just a general disconnect from not meeting with faculty and peers in person, some students are finding they can’t do their best work from home. 

To help address this issue, a number of Moravian students have asked the College to move to a pass or fail policy for this semester. This change was requested in an online petition and through direct correspondence with the office of the president. 

The idea is that students can forgo a specific letter grade in a class and receive a simple “passing” grade instead. 

Students would still get credit for a course as long as they finish the course requirements, but the “pass” grade would have little to no effect on their GPAs. 

Of course, students who do not complete the class work would receive a failing grade, which would negatively impact their GPAs. The class would also not count toward meeting any school requirements; a “fail” grade would function just like a “F” letter grade. 

The details of the pass/fail policy were still being ironed out by faculty and the Registrar; one of their concerns was how the new policy would affect the many different requirements of each major. In fact, some departments have pushed back against the idea of pass/fail because of their need to give letter grades for specific assignments. 

A compromise, according to the updated Moravian page here, is to allow students who want to utilize pass/fail to receive one of three grades in place of a standard letter grade. 

The first is a PC, which would indicate a grade somewhere between a C and an A, and would meet any course requirements. 

The second grade is a PD (D grades), which would suggest a low grade for the course but still earns the student credit for it.

If students cannot complete the coursework for a PC or PD, students will receive a “NC (no credit),” the equivalent of an “F” letter grade. Any student receiving this grade would not be able to use the course to fulfill a course requirement. 

Furthermore, the College has extended the withdrawal period for students to May 2 in case the grading system does not meet the needs of students and faculty.

What are the pros and cons of this new grading policy? What should you do?

If you feel confident about the final grade you will receive in a course, don’t do anything. You will get a letter grade like normal and your GPA will reflect it. 

However, if you feel that you are not able to do your best work online or you are having trouble keeping up with the extra coursework, it may be a good idea to try the pass/fail policy. As long as you feel confident that you will receive a C or above, take a “PC” grade; your GPA will remain as is. However, if you are looking to increase your GPA, this option may not be the best for you.

If you have a lot of time in future semesters or you do not need a course to graduate, you can withdraw from the course if you’d like. Since the deadline for withdrawing with a “W” is extended, you can do so without harming your GPA — and your stress levels.

Each case is unique to the student, and each class has different expectations. The best way to figure out how you want to be graded is to talk to your advisor, your professor for each class, and the Registrar. They will be able to help you weigh the pros and cons  of the pass/fail policy once it is finalized.

Note: A previous version of this article was published prior to the College solidifying their plans for the pass/fail system this semester. The current version reflects the latest announcement.