The student news site of Moravian College

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Moravian Homecoming Motivates Hounds to Dominate the Turf

Photo by Erica Highhouse

Photo by Erica Highhouse

Photo by Erica Highhouse

The campus was buzzing with anticipation on October 15, when Moravian College hosted the annual Homecoming. The homecoming’s signature events included a morning parade hosted by the campus’ Greek Life and a tailgate party before the football game.

The football team took on a familiar Centennial Conference rival in the Susquehanna River Hawks at Rocco Calvo Field. The team  lost 35-34 in a final heartbreaking two-point conversion by the River Hawks, followed by an emotional post-game scuffle at midfield.

However, the football game would be overshadowed on this homecoming weekend, as the most exciting action of the day took place back on Main Campus on John Makuvek Field, as both the men’s and women’s soccer teams pulled off exciting victories over their own Landmark Conference rivals, The Catholic University of America.

The women’s soccer team started off the afternoon by defeating the regionally ranked Catholic Cardinals 2-1. This win represented the Hounds’ third straight victory and an essential win in their post-season push. Freshman Paige Weiss scored the Hounds’ first goal in minute sixteen, set up by senior Valentina Margiottiello’s corner kick. The second goal was the first of the season for junior Emily Crowley in minute twenty. Following their moment of homecoming glory, the women’s soccer team would go on to win four of their next six matches of the season, with the two losses both coming in overtime.

Following the excitement of the first upset win over Catholic, the men’s team took the field as the fall afternoon turned into a brisk evening, with hopes of wrapping up the annual homecoming celebrations with a win. The Hounds were able to do just that, defeating the Cardinals 3-1 in a win that was key to keeping their playoff chances alive.

The usual cast of Greyhounds for the men’s team helped achieve the victory. Senior Saul Marcial connected on his third goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1 in the fiftieth minute, and junior Connor Phillips would score the final goal of the night to seal the victory in a penalty kick in the seventy-sixth minute.

In a day full of festivities for alumni, families and students, the biggest headline of homecoming weekend was unquestionably the action on Makuvek Field, as the Greyhounds swept Catholic in mid-October soccer action.