The Comenian

COVID-19 Ends Disney College Program Early

A screenshot of the Disney College Program's Facebook post announcing to the public that they will be ending this semester's program short.

Kaitlyn Furst, Arts & Entertainment Section Editor

March 26, 2020

As colleges across the nation have been closing in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, they’ve been closing their study abroad programs, too. One of them is the Disney College Program.  The Disney College Program, to which Moravian has sent undergraduates in the past, allows college-aged stud...

Empowering Women on Campus

Women in AAUW and the outer college community marching to spread awareness of sexual violence.
Photos By: AAUW and Alyssa Flannery

Victoria Ritter, Video & Slideshow Editor

March 26, 2020

In my three short years at Moravian, I have met many female professors and faculty members who have shown the next generation of women that it is okay to be assertive and powerful in our own fields or just in everyday life.  In my time on campus, I have yet to meet a female professor who has not i...

Alumni Spotlight: Carolyn Furst, ‘84

Alumni Spotlight: Carolyn Furst, ‘84

March 26, 2020

For this alumni spotlight I interviewed my mother, Carolyn Furst, who graduated Moravian College as Carolyn Frisoli. Furst grew up in Salisbury Township, Pennsylvania, and was a first generation college student. She graduated in 1987 with a juris doctor degree from the Dickinson School of Law. a...

Using Zoom: Beyond the Basics

Select any background (and you will probably have to lie and say you have a green screen behind you).

Elizabeth Horn, Editor-In-Chief

March 19, 2020

We’ve done it, folks. We have officially completed an entire week of classes online via Zoom. While this may be something you love or something you despise, we all have to do it. On Monday we gave you a guide to get the basics of Zoom down. Today we’re here to show you how to liven up your Zoom experience in these troubled times.  Virtual Background While we may a...

Music Majors Adjust in Wake of COVID-19

Moravian students in practice for their concerts; Photo Courtesy of: moravian.edu/music/admission

March 19, 2020

When classes moved online on March 16, many professors were able to continue their daily lectures remotely without much fuss. Utilizing Zoom or asynchronous learning became the new norm. Professors -- and students -- in a few departments, however, have had a much tougher time. Those in the music department a...

Grocery Store to Ghost Town: A Slideshow

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted the lives of many and continues to do so today. At the beginning, many people scrambled to their local stores to buy supplies and stock up for the time they were going to spend in quarantine. This is the first time I have seen multiple shelves at different stores completely bare. From toilet paper to dog food, and hand soap to spaghetti sauce, supplies flew off the shelves as a  result of the outbreak. The staff and suppliers of these stores have been hard at work to replenish the goods as fast as they can, but some are still without backup products until shipments are brought in. The following photos are ones sent in by  people in the area, from up in Nazareth to down in Doylestown. These are the results of panic shopping.;
Photo Submitted By: Christine Wieder-- B & G on campus

Victoria Ritter, Video & Slideshow Editor

March 19, 2020

COVID-19: An Opportunity for Gratitude

Students abroad faced a series of unique challenges with the outbreak of COVID-19.

Grace Gilbert, Guest Reporter

March 15, 2020

COVID-19 has spread rapidly through the world, also spreading fear, confusion, and even anger as governments and institutions take precautionary measures.  For most healthy adults, the risk of getting very ill or dying from the novel coronavirus is low. However, the underlying malignance of this v...

Using Zoom: A Beginner’s Guide

The home screen of Zoom, the virtual meeting space students and staff will be using for the next two weeks.

Christine Wieder, Copy Editor

March 15, 2020

In the wake of the coronavirus, President Grigsby announced earlier this week that all classes will move online until at least March 29. This means that instead of meeting in person as we’re all accustomed to, many of us will be using Zoom, an online meeting service similar to Skype or FaceTime, for ...

Professor Lipkis Composes Score for Björk’s Icelandic Film “The Juniper Tree”

The poster for the film

March 13, 2020

On February 3, as part of its International Film Series, the Frank Banko Alehouse Cinema in Bethlehem screened the Icelandic film “The Juniper Tree.”  Directed and written by Nietzchka Keene, the 1990 film features a cast of five characters, one of whom is played by the Icelandic singer-songwriter Bj...

The Comenian Guide to Alternative Spring Breaks

Photo Courtesy of: moravian.edu

Elizabeth Schwartz, Reporter

February 27, 2020

Spring break is rolling around once again and many students are looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the week-long break.  Some students will be spending time with their friends and families, while others will embark on traveling adventures.  For students who are not interested in experiencing t...

MoCo Senior Looks Back on Accepted Students Day

Gamma Sigma Sigma at Accepted Students Day, welcoming potential students; Photo by: Victoria Ritter

Christine Wieder, Copy Editor

February 27, 2020

Moravian recently held an Accepted Students Day on Saturday, Feb. 15. I volunteered to help with an English major information session, as well as an information table for Gamma Sigma Sigma during lunch.  Being a senior in my last semester, I naturally began to think about how I was in these students...

Community Submitted: Worst First Dates

Elizabeth Horn, Editor-In-Chief

February 14, 2020

With Valentine’s Day upon us and love in the air, it’s easy to fantasize about romance and love and all of the great things that come with it. However, sometimes love doesn’t always start off with the first date.  To hear some of the best (and by that, we mean worst) love stories of Moravian...