The Comenian

My May Term In Spain: An Empowering Experience

a plane view of coastal Spain

Grace Gilbert, Reporter

November 1, 2019

Looking out a plane window over Menorca, I realized just how far from home I was.  I was amazed at the crushing blueness of the water, at the way the island looked small from high up but got bigger as the plane descended. There is nothing like the realization that the world is really small and rea...

Fall Fest: Goats, Food, and Fun

a goat

Katherine Langdon, Reporter

October 18, 2019

Wicked Witches of Moravian: Addressing Misconceptions

a photo of wiccan artifacts

Shayla Borger, News Section Editor

October 18, 2019

When you think of a witch, you may picture a green-skinned woman with a long, pointed nose, dressed in all black, topped with a witch’s hat. Or perhaps you imagine someone summoning Satan while sitting inside a pentagram drawn in blood.  But Hollywood witches are poor representations of what real witc...

Daniel Proud: Moravian’s Own Spider-Man

Dr. Daniel Proud stands in front a terrarium which houses a spider.

Brian Utzat, Reporter

October 18, 2019

Dr. Proud is not actually the real-life Spider-Man, but he does work with spiders and other arachnids.  An assistant professor of biology at Moravian, Proud has been interested in ecology and evolution for as long as he can remember. Not surprisingly, then, as an undergraduate at Virginia We...

Professor Spotlight: Edward Probasco

Professor Edward Probasco, Moravian's newest English Professor.

Madisen Snyder, Opinion Section Editor

October 3, 2019

Professor Edward Probasco is an adjunct professor at Moravian College. He graduated from Kutztown University with both his B.A. and M.A. in English. What inspired you to go into your field of study? Does it count if I say I fell into it? I started pursuing composition and rhetoric a little after the c...

Club Spotlight: Gamma Sigma Sigma

Gamma Sigma Sigma members participating in a fundraiser for Alex's Lemonade Stand

Elizabeth Horn, Editor-In-Chief

October 3, 2019

What is your club about?  Gamma Sigma Sigma is an inclusive community service sorority. This means that anyone who wants to join the sorority is welcome. The goal of Gamma Sigma Sigma is to bring people together by creating engaging opportunities to serve our campus and community. By getting invol...

Community Vs. Commuters: A Parking Dilemma

Lorain Avenue

Emily Pettinato, Guest Reporter

October 3, 2019

Moravian College commuters make up one-third of the student population, but when it comes to parking their cars, they are restricted to a single parking lot that is subjected to flooding: Lot X.   The lot has 209 parking spaces. That’s not enough to accommodate all commuter students, causing them...

MoCo Radio is Live (and High on the 1980’s)

Studio of MoCo Radio

Paige Bicknell, Staff Reporter

October 3, 2019

Moravian College Radio is an on-campus organization that allows students and faculty to produce their very own radio shows.  Located in the basement of the HUB, the radio station is home to nine shows this semester. Hosted by students, the shows cover a wide range of topics, from electronic musi...

Behind the Scenes of Band Camp

Behind the Scenes of Band Camp

Christina Santo, Managing Editor

September 19, 2019

The start of football season makes most people think of school rivalries and tailgating. But it has a different meaning for the Moravian College Marching Band (MCMB). For us, it’s a chance to show off the hard work we’ve put into preparing the halftime show.  Imagine this: it’s 9 o’clock in the morn...

Club Spotlight: History Club

History Club; President: Nicholas Bergsma; Advisor: Dr. Sandy Bardsley

September 19, 2019

What is your club about? The History Club is about like-minded people meeting to discuss historical topics, collaborating with other clubs and classes to create interactive events, and creating our own events both on and off campus. When was your club established? We actually aren’t sure! ...

Club Spotlight: German Club

German Club; President: Shianne Reimer; Advisor: Dr. Axel Hildebrandt

September 5, 2019

What is your club about? German Club was created to spread awareness and knowledge about German culture and language. We hold events such as Oktoberfest, gingerbread house-making, and an annual trip to New York City. You don't have to know any German to be in the club. When was your club esta...

Experience the Club Fair Online!

USG held another successful club fair for students, new and returning. Held outside on the PPHAC Patio, over 60 clubs came to welcome new students to their clubs and organizations that offer opportunities for an array of interests. Missed the Club Fair? Get a virtual tour here! United Student Government (USG); 
President: Matt Geary
; Advisor: Dean Amy Saul

September 5, 2019