Arena Theatre Demolition Angers Theatre Alums

Photo courtesy of Liz Lameen.
Photo courtesy of Liz Lameen.

The renovation of the Haupert Union Building boasts many improvements in aesthetics and functionality.

But there is one glaring feature of the building that will be missing: the Arena Theatre, which was built in 1981.

When Moravian President Bryon Grigsby first arrived as president at Moravian, the University looked to expand the theatre, which later included one unrealized plan to purchase the Boyd Theater in downtown Bethlehem.

However, when the administration later planned to renovate the HUB, it decided that finding a new home for the demolished theatre would not be included, due to both financial and physical space constraints.

“Rebuilding [the theater space] would mean finding a place [for it elsewhere] on campus,” said Dr. Carol Traupman-Carr, Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs. “That is not part of the strategic plan at this time, nor part of the capital campaign. So there are both strategic reasons and financial reasons behind the decision.”

When the HUB renovations were first considered three years ago, long before the information went public, the original plan included a new, expanded, and improved theatre space. So, Moravian theatre members were stunned when they saw that the newly released plans made no provisions for a dedicated space for theatre productions.

“Then, they changed the plan, and it went from a big new theatre to no theatre,” theatre professor Christopher Shorr said. “I have no idea how that happened. I found out about it after that decision had been made. I was shocked; I was disappointed and it seemed like a bad decision.”

Many theatre alumni share the same astoundment.

Corinne Philbin, ‘20, a theatre minor at Moravian, was among these alum. “When I first heard the news that the Arena Theatre was going to be torn down with no plans to rebuild, I was heartbroken and shocked,” she said. “It’s as if a college decided to eliminate its football team. There would be an enormous uproar if that happened. I am disappointed the same amount of care and passion is not seen or felt with theatre.”

Alumna Cathy Spatilla, ‘77, relayed that the years she spent under the previous theatre associate professor, Dr. Jack Ramsey, were the best of her life.

“It is an absolute disgrace and a dishonor to the legacy that was and is Jack Ramsey,” she said. “Is this what the future holds for Moravian? Shame on you; shame on all of you. I want nothing more to do with this institution.”

While the news of the destruction is hard on alumni, many are more aggravated by the lack of a plan to rebuild a new space dedicated to theatre performances.

Current stage manager Emily Kave worries about future generations of theatre students missing out on the program that provided a source of support for her.

“I’ve talked with younger friends of mine who are in the theater company, and while they have hope that they will endure, I also hear their sadness and disappointment about the loss of the Arena Theater,” said Kave.

Kave is also concerned that the loss of a dedicated space will lead to other losses in the theater program, such as classes, resources, or even the program altogether. “This is probably a bit of an extreme viewpoint,” she said. “[But] it is hard not to think about that when such a huge part of the theater program is being taken away just like that.”

The Moravian administration stated that there is no space that can be set aside at this time solely for theatre performances. However, during the renovations, Shorr said that theatre classes can take place in any space where the furniture is moveable, opening up a few possibilities of shared spaces such as The Sally, The Saal in the Seminary, and in Peter Hall, Hearst Hall, and Foy Hall on South Campus.

Students and alumni believe that the Arena Theatre bridges an essential connection between students and the theatre program – and that, they believe won’t change, building or not.

“It gives me a lot of hope that even after I leave, all of these amazing, dedicated people will continue to keep the theater program alive,” Kave said. “Again, while losing the Arena Theater will no doubt make things harder on the theater program, it will not stop theater from growing and thriving at Moravian.”

View Comments (4)