Athlete Spotlight: Catie Lovett

Photo courtesy of Catie Lovett.
Photo courtesy of Catie Lovett.

Catie Lovett is a busy student. Her schedule as a junior, nursing major, and an employee on campus in the Registrar’s office, is jammed packed. Outside of school, she loves traveling. When she is home between sports seasons, she enjoys spending time with her three dogs and two siblings and coaching a local swimming team. Although her main focus is on school and her family, Catie competes every season on the cross country, swimming, and track and field teams.

Who are your coaches?

I am coached by Jesse Baumann and Jon D’Ottavio in both cross country and track and field and in swimming, I am coached by Matt Easterday, Abbi Walsh, and Tina Grigsby.

What events do you compete in?

In swimming, I compete in the 50 free, 100 free, 100 back, and 200 back, and in track and field, I compete in the 800 meter and 1500 meter.

When are your next few games/ meets/ matches?

I just finished the cross country season and swimming has started with our next meet on Dec. 1 and 2.

What is your favorite thing about the sport(s)?

I love being focused on goals and achieving them, while also making really great relationships with everyone on the team.

Why did you choose to play at Moravian University?

I received a handwritten letter from Jesse Baumann, the track and field head coach. I loved how small and friendly the community was and it was the perfect city and not too far from home. I also wanted to start the swim team and watch it grow because I was the first female to commit.

What is your preseason like?

We come back a week early for cross country and have a lot of team bonding events. Swimming normally has early morning swims, lifting, night swims, and team bonding activities.

What accomplishments have you had while playing for Moravian?

I was on the CSCAA Scholar All-America Team, part of the highest female team GPA: Swim, on the Dean’s Honor Roll every semester, a record breaker for swimming, and won conferences with the track team in 2022.

Biggest sports inspiration and why?

To be honest and to surprise many, I really don’t watch the higher levels of my sports. I know famous swimmers and runners (I have met Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte), but I don’t keep up with it. I much rather watch high school and college-level sports.

Photo courtesy of Catie Lovett.

Why did you first get involved with this sport or sports?

My dad has been my biggest supporter in life. He is the one who has guided me and pushed me to be the best I can be (both in life, in the water, around a track, and up a hill and through the woods). He has been at countless meets cheering me on and yelling “get the burger” (an inside joke we have because I love hamburgers). When we first moved to NJ, he was the one who taught me how to swim in a backyard pool. From there, I joined a local lake summer team and then a club YMCA team. I got into running to stay in shape for swimming during middle school, but junior year of high school, my friend Lucy convinced me to join XC (I had previously been playing field hockey during the fall, swimming during the winter, and track during the spring).

How do you balance your time?

Life is all about balance. School has been and always will be my number one priority. Sports are a huge part of my life but I never let it take over my life, something that my dad has taught me since I was young. Life is so short and we must make the most of it, hence why I take the needed breaks and live life to the fullest. I am thankful that my coaches have emphasized school before sports. Family is also huge to me so I rely on them for support and guidance. My faith has also been a huge destresser in my life. Lastly, naps. I am a firm believer that a nap a day is the best thing for someone.

Challenges as an athlete?

It can be very hard to come back early or not go home when everyone else is because of sports. I love spending time with my family so it’s hard to say goodbye to them earlier.

View Comments (1)