Who will win Hollywood’s biggest night? The Oscars Predictions

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash.

2023 was one of the biggest years for movies that we have seen in a while. We saw the return of summer blockbusters like Barbie and Oppenheimer. We sang during Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour and Wonka, we cried at Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3, and we shielded our eyes at Saltburn

But now, it is time for the Academy to decide the best of the best of 2023. All of the nominees are wonderful, but only one can take home the award. Our predictions: 

Best Directing: Christopher Nolan 

This is a category often disregarded by the general public, however, it is an important achievement and honor. I think Best Directing this year belongs to Christopher Nolan for Oppenheimer. This is Nolan’s best work and well deserving of receiving his first Oscar in this category. He took home this award at the Golden Globes this year, which is typically a good indication of what very well could happen at the Oscars. Nolan’s vision for this film is exceptional. This story could have gone many different ways, however Nolan managed to keep audiences on the edge of their seats for three hours. 

Best Actress: Lily Gladstone

This award, I predict, will be in the hands of Lily Gladstone at the end of the night. She played Mollie in Martin Scorcese’s Killers of the Flower Moon. This film would be nothing without Gladstone’s strong presence. Gladstone brings authenticity to a film that would feel lackluster without her. She commands the screen alongside some of Hollywood’s greats (Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert DeNiro). If she wins, she will be the first Native American woman to win this award.

Best Actor: Cillian Murphy

Joining Lily Gladstone that night will be Cillian Murphy for Actor in a Leading Role in Oppenheimer. The titular character in this film is complex and powerful, both things Murphy conveyed perfectly. Oppenheimer faces perplexing internal dilemmas that not many other actors could express as well as Murphy. That is why he is deserving of this prestigious award. 

Best Picture: Oppenheimer

For the biggest award of the night, Best Picture, I predict it will go to Oppenheimer. This film was beautifully made with a story and writing that encapsulated audiences. Everyone that played any sort of part of this movie did a phenomenal job. The bomb sequence, his press conference, and the ending were some highlights that lead me to this decision. I am still thinking about this film almost six months later. All of the nominees this year are terrific and entertaining watches in general. Nonetheless, Oppenheimer, to me, is the most deserving of this impressive feat. I urge everyone to watch any of these nominees to experience a masterclass in filmmaking.  

The biggest night in Hollywood, The Academy Awards, will be held on March 10, 2024.