Rock Revival – Redefining a Genre

Photo courtesy of Dirty Honey.
Photo courtesy of Dirty Honey.

Do people say you were born into the wrong generation? Are your friends sick of you playing songs written in the last century? Do you not care? Good, you shouldn’t because Rock’n’Roll is the best! 

We all know that, but as amazing as our favorite bands from years past are, we need to move on. The world has changed, and music needs to evolve with it. I’m sure you’ve heard the all too common phrase, “rock is dead!” and while it’s not at the peak of its powers right now, it’s still alive and kicking. 

There are bands big and small all over the world still making incredible rock music at this very moment. So, to save you some time searching for them, I’ll share with you some of my favorite bands bringing this beloved genre back to the modern age. Just because I know how hard it can be to let go of your favorite group, I’ve paired these up-and-coming acts with who I think they resemble the most both in sound and stage presence. 

Photo courtesy of Pluggedin.com.

You like Led Zeppelin, try Greta Van Fleet …

Photo courtesy of Pluggedin.com 

It’s only fitting that we start with probably the most promising band on the scene right now, Greta Van Fleet. This group of brothers and their drummer friend from Frankenmuth, MI, have not been able to escape the Led Zeppelin comparisons since their debut album From The Fires, back in 2017. Many people find them a little too similar sounding to the Gods of Rock’n’Roll that are Zeppelin, however, I think that’s more of a compliment than anything.

These guys have a huge sound with incredible guitar riffs and solos from lead guitarist Jake Kiszka. They’re so mind blowing, in fact, that he won Best Guitar Solo of the 21st Century from Total Guitar Magazine with the song The Weight Of Dreams. His riffs obviously draw inspiration from the great Jimmy Page, but they have their own unique character that lends themselves perfectly to the overall sonic identity that is GVF. I also have to mention the chilling vocals of lead singer Josh Kiszka. From the opening moments of their very first track, Safari Song, he lets out a scream that will send shivers down your spine. If you love Robert Plant’s angelic voice but don’t mind a little grittiness in those high notes, Josh won’t leave you disappointed. If you’re not already convinced by my praises, let their music do the talking. Here are some tracks to get you started.

• Highway Tune
  • Safari Song
  • Frozen Light
  • Built By Nations
  • When The Curtain Falls
Photo courtesy of Olive Vox.

If you like Nirvana, try Olive Vox …

Photo courtesy of Olive Vox

Are you more of a 90’s grunge person? No problem, I got the duo just for you: Olive Vox. This two-piece from Orange County, CA has all the distorted guitar tones, deafening drum beats, and raspy vocals we’re used to from Nirvana. They use all these elements along with their own unique Southern California charm to craft songs that are both emotional and catchy. 

It’s that unique vibe that sets them apart from Nirvana, bringing a spot of sunshine to that dreary Seattle Grunge sound. With a little over 13 thousand monthly listeners on Spotify, these guys are the perfect pick for those of you who like to tell your friends about that “new underground band you love.” In all seriousness, Olive Vox is underappreciated and deserves some more attention. So give them a shot, and thank me later! Though they’ve only put out one EP and a couple of singles so far, you can’t go wrong with any of their songs. Here are my picks of where would be best to start.

• Bury Me Low
  • Sunflower 
  • Wash You Away 
  • All My Friends Are Dead
  • Middle Name

If you like AC/DC, try Dirty Honey…

Photo courtesy of Dirty Honey

If you grew up banging your head to songs like Back In Black, Highway to Hell, or T.N.T. then Dirty Honey is sure to get you up and doing the same thing to their music. Just like AC/DC, Dirty Honey can be recognized for their hard-hitting bluesy rhythms and easy-to-scream choruses. Their lead singer, Marc Labelle, even has a similar voice to the legendary AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson, but with even more range! 

It didn’t take very long for them to find success in the industry either. From opening for Slash to currently headlining a tour across the UK, it seems like they’re on a direct course to the top with no stops in sight. With their brand new album Can’t Find The Brakes being released only a few months ago, there’s no better time to jump into Dirty Honey! So, once again, here are some tunes for you to start with. 

• Rolling 7’s
  • Won’t Take Me Alive
  • When I’m Gone
  • Heartbreaker 2.0
  • California Dreamin’

Now, it’s your turn to give these bands a listen, and if you enjoy them, spread the word! As fans, the power to revive rock music is in our hands. These three groups are a great starting point, but there are so many more out there that I wish I could have mentioned like Ace Monroe, Måneskin, and Royal Blood for example. So, don’t stop looking because you never know when you’ll find the next great one. Until next time, rock on!