‘Moravian vs. Lehigh’ Movie Review: The Battle for Bethlehem’s Future

I was the first one in line at the movie theater on March 22nd, eagerly anticipating the moment the doors would open. After years of waiting, I would finally be able to experience the epic showdown between Moravian University and Lehigh University on the silver screen. I had watched every trailer and read every article talking about this film, and now it was time to watch it for myself. I knew I was in for a treat, but I didn’t expect Moravian vs. Lehigh to blow me away like it did. 

The film follows the main character of Rodd Teedy, an environmental science major, as he navigates his senior year at Moravian University. Rodd is a celebrity on campus, and his fame extends to all reaches of Bethlehem. Rodd is made to be a very likeable character, and any viewer will instantly fall in love with his charm. I was swooning in my seat any time that Rodd uttered a word. He truly is one of the greatest protagonists in all of fiction.

One day while Rodd is speaking for the trees, he’s approached by Rizz Kameme who informs him of an evil plot cooked up by Lehigh University, another school located across the river from Moravian. Lehigh plans to use a device to steal the one peace, a special treasure located beneath the Collier Hall of Science on Moravian’s campus. Whoever controls the one peace controls the fate of Bethlehem, so naturally they’d want it. Rodd, being the ultimate Moravian Greyhound, is tasked by Rizz to put a stop to Lehigh’s plans.

The practical effects in the film were amazing. For example, about halfway through the film when Lehigh levels the HUB while trying to eliminate Rodd, the filmmakers actually demolished the real-life HUB. It’s moments like these that give me hope for the future of cinema.

The film balances practical effects and CGI beautifully. The scene where Moravian President Bryon Grigsby stands in the ruins of the HUB and transforms into the mythical Grigsly Bear sent a shiver down my spine. His raw emotion and the sheer pain he’s feeling in that scene makes me believe he’ll receive an Oscar for his hard work.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, especially during the scene where it’s revealed that Rizz orchestrated the whole conflict in order to steal the one peace for herself. The montage where Rodd recruits a team to take down Rizz is the best use of scene splicing I’ve seen in a film. Rodd recruits such characters as John Kiwibot, Mo, and even the president of Lehigh University, Joseph J. Helble.

The final battle between Rodd and Rizz had some of the best choreography I’ve ever seen. Every character’s action paired beautifully with their feelings and characterization, and all in all it felt natural. Rizz’s final monologue really showed me how well-written the entire film was. Every line of dialogue had a purpose, especially when you consider the major thematic elements of the film.

Don’t even get me started on the post-credits scene. It teases a sequel, where the students of Lehigh stand in the ruins of their campus, and swear revenge on Moravian, despite protests from their president. Then, they reveal that they were in possession of the two peace, the evil counterpart of the one peace. I can’t wait for the second part, which is slated to release in 2072.

Overall, Moravian vs. Lehigh stands as the greatest film of all time and I don’t care what anyone else has to say about it.

Score: 10 Hound ‘ems/10