Moravian Greek Life Holds Annual Greek Week

Photo courtesy of Ebony Saccento. Zeta Tau Alpha performs their Mean Girls routine during Greek Week’s Musicfest.

Moravian University Greek Life held its annual Greek Week from March 18 to March 22. During the week, Greek organizations around campus participated in competitions to determine which one would come out on top and be crowned the 2024 Greek Week champions.

Each year, Greek Life donates the money collected during the week to a philanthropic organization in the wider community. This year, Greek Life’s chosen organization was Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley, an organization dedicated to helping survivors of domestic abuse. This year, Greek Life as a whole raised $428.01.

The Greek chapters raise money by collecting donations from designed flags. People donate money depending on which flag they think is designed the best. This year’s theme was Pixar and the flags represented that.

Greek Week started on Monday, March 18, when members of all Greek Life organizations met for an opening ceremony in Johnston Hall. The ceremony celebrated each Greek organization’s philanthropy and how they assist the wider community. The ceremony was immediately followed by relay races, where all organizations battled it out against each other to come out on top. Tuesday, March 19, saw a return to Johnston Hall, where the chapters of each organization competed in volleyball matches. 

On Wednesday, March 20, the chapters gathered on the Sally patio for some cornhole and Can Jam. On Thursday, Pixar Trivia was held in PPHAC.

Friday saw every chapter gathered in Foy Concert Hall, which indicated the start of Musicfest, a competition where each organization performs a routine hoping to be picked by the judges as the winner.

Sigma Sigma Sigma started off the competition by dancing to Britney Spears songs while wearing red and black tops. Their cartwheel-filled performance hyped up the crowd and set the stage for what was to follow.

Alpha Sigma Alpha was up next, performing a dance routine to a slew of popular songs, including Murder on the Dance Floor.

Sigma Phi Epsilon followed after, performing the song We Are Young by Fun. Their performance included a kickline and an entire auditorium singing along with them.

Delta Tau Delta was next, performing a variety dance routine that included songs such as Gangnam Style. To end their performance, the brothers of the fraternity performed Closing Time, inviting everyone in attendance to sing along with them.

Alpha Sigma Tau continued the competition, performing a dance routine for the audience. They had the crowd going wild with their variety in choreography.

Zeta Tau Alpha closed out the competition by performing a Mean Girls routine, complete with dancing and acting. Different members of the chapter were cast in roles that mimicked the film their performance was based on.

While the judges discussed the performances, an awards ceremony took place where the presidents of each chapter recognized outstanding members of their organizations.

The night ended with an announcement of the performance winners. Zeta received third place, ASA got second, and Delt took home the first-place prize. Immediately following the reveal of the winning performances, it was time to announce the winners of Greek Week as a whole.

In third place was AST. Second place was a tie between Delt and Zeta. And to close out the night, Sig-Ep walked away as the 2024 Greek week champions.

Greek Week stands as a way for Greek organizations to come together before the end of the academic year. By fostering a community between the different Greek organizations all members of the different chapters get an opportunity to see each other in a similar light, allowing the Moravian community to strengthen. Not only does this foster a more inclusive environment, but it gives each chapter a chance to support one another through friendly competition that eventually leads to donating for a good cause. 

“I would say that the importance of Greek Week is to further establish Greek community,” said ASA member Avery Bailey ‘24. “There’s a lot of times where you interact with other Greek organizations, but it’s rare that all of us are in the same room together doing something that’s just, it’s competitive, but it’s friendly.”