R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E.: Celebrating Women’s Excellence through an Excellent Woman

Photo courtesy of Helaena Holjes. (From Left to Right) Todd Reedy, Connor Cavey ‘23, Dr. Natasha Woods, Tyler Nemura ‘23, and Helaena Holjes

On Tuesday, March 26, the Center for Inclusive Excellence (previously known as the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) hosted the R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. dinner for the campus to reflect on the accomplishments and history of women as an empowering conclusion to Women’s History Month. R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. is an acronym that stands for Reaching for Empowerment, Diversity, and Inclusion Rejoicing in our Sister’s Excellence.

Hosted by Dr. Belinda Waller-Peterson and Michelle Rios from Inclusive Excellence, many members connected to the Moravian Community stopped by to celebrate the occasion, and more specifically, to listen to the night’s keynote speaker, Dr. Natasha Woods. 

Dr. Woods’ keynote speech focused entirely on this idea, specifically, the exceptional women in her life who helped her get to where she is now. Thanking not only her mother and her mentors as she progressed through her lifelong academic career, Dr. Woods shared her journey with us as one of few Black women in the field of ecology who strives to make it more inclusive for women like her. 

As the night went on, and to Dr. Woods’ surprise, the Inclusive Excellence crew revealed that R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. was not just a dinner that featured Dr. Woods as a keynote speaker but a ceremony of recognition to award her for all of her hard work, not just as an ecologist, but as a woman as well. Students close to Dr. Woods — Helaena Holjes, Cielo Disla, and Giselle Ponce — all spoke about their personal experiences and anecdotes that they’ve shared with Dr. Woods, whether they be research, travel, or just “you have to be there” moments in the lab. 

Each passing story set the stage for the real purpose of the night, awarding Dr. Woods with not just a physical trophy to commemorate her efforts but also a scrapbook made by June Thompson, the administrative assistant of the Biological Sciences Department, highlighting all of Dr. Woods’ outstanding accomplishments throughout her time at Moravian University thus far. 

The stories from Woods, students, and the Inclusive Excellence team shared the multitude of accomplishments that women on Moravian’s campus have made and continue to make. Research breakthroughs, successful grants worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and exciting trips to the field are just the tip of the iceberg in showing how amazing the women at Moravian are.

Nick Petrisko, a graduate from the class of ‘23 and an independent researcher in Dr. Woods’ lab during his last year, stated, “It was a wonderful event to reconnect with some of the people and professors that I knew; in both Dr. Woods’ lab and in the Moravian bio department. Dr. Woods is an inspiration, and I’m thankful to still have a strong connection with her, even after graduating.”

Holjes, a senior environmental science major and member of Woods’ lab, stated, “Throughout the R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. dinner, it was evident that we are all grateful for the trailblazers in our lives, one such example is Dr. Woods. I had the opportunity to speak about one of the most impactful women in STEM I have had the pleasure to work with. I appreciate the support and inclusion and equitability people like Dr. Woods have infused into this campus. I hope this becomes an annual event of encouraging and honoring people that push this university towards the future.”

Disla, a junior biology major who has also worked with Dr. Woods, stated, “The R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. dinner was such an inspirational event where we got to celebrate and recognize the trailblazing impacts that women, such as Dr. Woods, have had. It made me feel ready to rise.” 

Reflecting on the event, Dr. Woods stated, “I was so honored to see so many alumni from my research lab and current students show up to the R.E.D.I. R.I.S.E. event. I was humbled by hearing about the impact the students said that I had on their lives. What I wanted to tell each one of them is how much they have impacted mine. I am able to live my dream because they were willing to join my research lab and take my classes. I am so honored to have such a long lasting connection with Moravian students and alumni.”