Economy Be Damned, I’m Still Living With My Mom: The Stigma Of Living With Your Parents

There’s no doubt we’re living in financially tight times. Inflation is up, unemployment rates are getting worse … and there is still a stigma around adults who live with their parents. Hurling around “You’re still living in your parent’s basement? ” or “Get off of your parents’ health insurance policy” is not the radical roast people think it is. 

Sorry, but in this economy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with staying with your parents in your 20s. It’s actually normalized in ethnic cultures around the world but for some reason, in the freedom-hungry USA, living with your parents is a sign of unhealthy co-dependence and the average American is meant to be a “free spirit.” That’s right, how dare you still leech off your parents even if you contribute to the household, pay rent, cook/clean, and buy groceries with your own money [cue over-exaggerated gasp]?

In all seriousness, it’s a ridiculous notion that there’s a social shame around this topic. Most of us do not exactly make bank from our measly retail/fast food jobs. The sad truth is that this isn’t the 1960s where you can buy a cul-de-sac for three clams on an extremely humbling salary. Honestly, considering how depressing the economy is, it’s no wonder my generation has accepted the fact that most of us won’t be homeowners. Even buying an apartment is criminally expensive, so why bother? 

Don’t get me started on the shame surrounding the Boomerang Generation or young adults who live on their own but end up living back with their parents due to emotional or financial hardships. Why are they shamed? Life isn’t linear and not all of us progressively grow up, leave the nest, and suddenly have everything we wanted as adults.

I should mention that I totally understand those who have difficult relationships with their parents or a toxic home environment and have no choice but to move out. Safety and mental well-being are important and are more than good reasons to live on your own. 

But, if you have a decent enough relationship with your folks, and they agree to let you stay, you should not be shamed for wanting to stay with them until you’re financially stable; I would argue that it’s the smart thing to do! Of course, independence is important and when you’re ready, definitely make the move and find your own place! However, you can be independent and live with your parents.

I live with my mom, but I still cook and clean on my own and pay for my own gas and groceries. We live together but occupy our own separate spaces. To me, it’s a bigger deal that people don’t know how to cook basic meals compared to just staying in the nest a little longer. You’re in your 20s and can’t even scramble an egg or boil pasta? Now that’s embarrassing! 

Unless I impulsively marry an old rich man, I foresee myself staying with my mom for the time being as long as I do my fair share of contributing. I will gladly take the title of basement dweller at my mom’s house (and we don’t even have a basement)!