Commuter Corner: Forgotten Belongings

Commuter Corner: Forgotten Belongings

I am guilty of forgetting my textbook for class and having to peer over someone’s shoulder, and even forgetting my wallet to buy lunch. I have also heard horror stories of commuter students driving the hour to campus only to realize they had forgotten their entire backpack. 

Once you are in this situation, it is hard to get out of. For those who live close enough to campus, you may drive home and end up being late. But those with much farther commutes have to try their best to get through the day without the forgotten item(s). 

But there are a few ways to help prevent this from happening. 

First, prep the night before so you don’t need to rush in the morning, especially if you have an 8:00 am. Packing your bag and leaving it by the front door guarantees you see it before you leave. As long as you pack everything you need, you won’t forget anything. But I always do a final look around my room before leaving just to double-check. 

This also applies to your lunch. If you bring lunch from home, prepare it the night before and leave everything together in the fridge or on the counter. In the morning, all you need to do is put your food into your bag. 

If you buy lunch, try to put your student ID or credit card in your bag the night before. I am sometimes forgetful of this when I work night shifts, so when I get home, I place my purse somewhere I will see and remember it. 

Another helpful tip is to write yourself a note. This can be a post-it note you stick to the back of your door or written on a whiteboard in your room. Notes are another tool that provides a visual cue to help you remember everything in the morning. 

If you have an Amazon Alexa or Google Home, you can set reminders to play in the morning. This is a good auditory cue to remind yourself of everything you need to take to campus. 

As always, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, you can leave a comment, email me at [email protected], or fill out this form.