Rant of the Week: Parking Worse Than Ever for Commuter Students

During my first year at Moravian, parking was a struggle for me and my fellow commuters. But this first week of classes, parking became worse than I could have ever imagined. 

If you arrive on campus for a class any later than 9:30 am., there’s a slim chance you will find a parking space. Students have been circling the parking lot for upwards of 30 minutes searching for parking spaces, including myself. This has made me and other commuters late to class, and it’s only the first week. 

If we are forced to pay $100 for a parking pass, we should expect parking spots to actually be available. Last year I had no problem with the fee for a parking pass, but this year it feels pointless. I am paying for a chance at a parking spot; it is no longer guaranteed. 

Not only is it inconvenient and frankly becoming a waste of money, it also puts my grades in jeopardy. Many professors grade based on attendance. If you are tardy, you will lose points in that category. This makes me feel that I am paying to lose points in my classes and lower my GPA. 

While there has been the creation of a Premium Parking Pass, it has done little to nothing to offset the large incoming freshman class.

Parking this semester has disrupted my schedule, as I have had to find alternate parking to Lot X and then move my car back to Lot X to prevent ticketing. I have less time to study because I am walking back and forth and driving in circles trying to park my car. It is unfair to the approximately one-third of students who commute. 

Something needs to be done to offset the stress and time it takes to find a parking space that we have paid to have access to.