History of the Comenian Newspaper

Comenius+Hall
Liz Kameen
Comenius Hall

The Comenian Newspaper’s first edition was published in Oct. 1891. As stated in this edition of the paper, their mission was to “further the best interests of the Moravian College and Theological Seminary” and serve as a representation of the students. 

The paper received its name with deep consideration from the staff, who found “The Comenian” to be fitting as the celebration of the 300th anniversary of Comenius’ birthday approached. 

The first edition of the newspaper was delayed from publication multiple times for undisclosed reasons. Once released, the paper was issued monthly, taking a break over summer holidays. 

The paper had to rely heavily upon support from local community sponsors as well as subscribers to the paper. The income generated from these sources is what kept the paper running and funded the printing of each edition. 

Many shops and businesses on Main Street became prominent sponsors of the newspaper, such as The Artistic Taylor, The Eagle Hotel (current-day Historic Hotel Bethlehem), and Diamond Coal Company. 

The Comenian Newspaper not only served members of Moravian College and Theological Seminary but also the entire Bethlehem community. The paper provided news coverage of campus events as well as community and national events, as it continues to date. 

The Comenian continued to be published during World War I and II and other historical moments and provided the community with up-to-date information. 

In 2016, the newspaper moved online and began publishing every two weeks. In recent years, at least one printed edition has been released every semester, as well.