Advice for Buying Textbooks

Photo by Freepik.

Being a first-generation college student, I had a lot to learn during my freshman year; one of those is where to order textbooks without paying exorbitant prices.

In my first and second semester, I ordered all of my textbooks exclusively from the Moravian Bookshop. In my first semester I spent $138, and my second semester I spent $123. 

This semester, I ordered three textbooks and spent a total of $38. When I compared those prices, I was shocked. Especially considering the fact that I own all of my textbooks this semester and in previous semesters I had to rent some. 

The difference between my first two semesters and my third is that I ordered online from Amazon, Thriftbooks, and Abebooks. Buying second-hand has many benefits. 

First, and most obvious, secondhand books help save money. Secondhand books are still in good condition and I have seen them for as low as $5.00. 

For those who are eco-conscious, shopping second-hand is a great way to help eliminate waste. Continuing this train-of-thought, reselling your books can provide yet another opportunity to reuse and eliminate waste. 

You can make some or all of your money back by reselling the textbooks and this money could be put towards the following semester’s textbook purchases. 

Another difference between my buying trends from my first year to second is that I shopped early. The earlier you begin shopping for textbooks, the better deals you will be able to find. 

I have found that most students begin buying textbooks in late July or early August. I began reviewing my textbook list on the Moravian Bookshop website in late May and early June. This allowed me to search for and purchase my textbooks earlier than other students. 

College is expensive, but finding cheaper textbooks can help mitigate out-of-pocket costs that students face. Over time, these alternatives could help students save hundreds of dollars.