Student Spotlight: Liliana Brockway

Photo courtesy of Joel Hendricks.
Photo courtesy of Joel Hendricks.

How are you involved on campus?

I honestly don’t know where to start for this question, I’m involved in so many things across campus. I feel like I live in the admissions office. I’m a 26 Points Ambassador, the Head North Campus Trainer, a front desk worker, a student worker for Sarah Hucaluk (an admissions counselor), as well as the intern for the admissions department this academic year. I’ve served on USG for the past two years, first as a general member and now as the Vice President of Student Engagement and Head of PR. Hopefully, I’ll serve for three terms depending on how the election goes this year (fingers crossed!). I’m part of the first cohort for the Humanities Fellowship, a Writing Fellow, and a Quantitative Resource Center tutor. I’ve worked in Reeves Library for just about two and a half years and absolutely love being able to help students find the resources they need or help with printing issues. I’m also part of the Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority as well as the Humanities Club, the Zinzendorf Literary Society, and a Student Alumni Representative (STAR).

What is your proudest accomplishment at Moravian?

I think this is the most difficult question to answer, but I think I would say making an impact through being a tour guide and getting to see the students I had given tours to and talked with start their journey at Moravian and see them blossom. Seeing those students who I made a connection with grow into who they are and staying in touch with them throughout their time here is one of the most fulfilling experiences I’ve had. The knowledge that the students I interacted with before their first semester know that I’m a resource and aren’t afraid to say hi or ask their questions is absolutely amazing.

Why did you choose to come to Moravian?

Originally, I wasn’t really looking at Moravian. I thought it was too close to home. One of my closest friends from high school was a student at Moravian when I was looking at colleges and highly encouraged me to apply. She couldn’t say enough good things about Moravian and I figured, why not apply. I came to the first Accepted Students Day and absolutely fell in love with the campus. I created a great bond with the student who took me to my academic session for English, where I was the only student. Quite literally everyone I met was so nice and I know it’s a cliché, but I truly felt like I was home, that Moravian was where I was meant to be. I made my mom come back with me to the second ASD so I could submit my deposit. I’m so glad I listened to my friend and applied, it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

What are your hobbies and passions?

I’m a self-proclaimed bibliophile (a lover of books). I thoroughly enjoy going to the gym as well as dancing, even if I bring out the most awkward dance moves known to man, those moves that typically only middle-aged dads use. I like to think that I’m really passionate about helping others and getting to know what makes others tick, like what they really enjoy so I can do my best to comfort or cheer them up when they need it.

What is your major? Why did you pick it?

I’m an English major with a double minor in French and Sociology. I’ve always loved reading and once I found out that I could do something with books as an actual job, my major was set before I was ten. I’m hoping to go into copy-editing or if things work out, maybe I’ll be an admissions counselor part-time.

What’s a little-known fact about you?

Probably the fact that I collect rubber ducks, like the cooler ones. The ones that are shaped like animals, from sports, mythical creatures. Essentially, you name it and chances are I have a rubber duck that would fit somewhere in the description of what you named. Rubber ducks are also one of my favorite things to give as a gift!

Favorite professor? Favorite class?

I don’t have just one professor. So, my favorite professors so far are Professor Liz Gray and Dr. Robert LaRue, hands down. They’re both so kind and understanding that students are people as well and that they go through rough patches. Although, my favorite class is between Dr. LaRue’s Special Topic on James Baldwin and Dr. Hou’s Asian Traditions Through Film.

What is your favorite thing to eat on campus?

My favorite thing to eat on campus probably has to be the cauliflower bowl ninja style with a fried egg on top from the B&G café. If you’re curious about go-to drinks, it’s between an iced coffee with vanilla and oat milk or an iced matcha green tea latte with oat milk from DeLight’s Café.

Where do you go to study or do homework?

I usually go to the library in one of the more secluded study rooms. Sometimes I find an empty classroom in PPHAC or the Sally and play my music through the sound system.

Anything else you would like to add?

The only thing I’d add would be to tell students to be who they are, and that they should stay true to who they are. As long as you’re comfortable with your life, go for whatever makes you happy whether that be being super involved or taking a step back and only being involved with one or two things. There’s no one way to have a great college experience. As long as academics is still a high priority for you, go forth and make the most out of the experience you can and make those meaningful connections that will last a lifetime.