Spectrum Hosts Annual ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’

Photo+courtesy+of+Liz+Kameen%2F+
Liz Kameen
Photo courtesy of Liz Kameen/

You are sorely missing out if you have never been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show. As a warning, this article may get a little explicit (but not as explicit as the show itself!)

For the past few years, Spectrum, Moravian’s LGBTQ+ organization, has organized an October Rocky Horror Picture Show showing. This event is organized by Spaced Out Sensations, a shadow cast that is usually located at Steel Stacks, 101 Founders Way, Bethlehem, PA 18015. 

If that made no sense to you, don’t fear! I’ll explain a little bit of the history, culture, and terms that make Rocky Horror the event it is in my review of Rocky Horror, but for now, here’s a quick synopsis that barely captures the film: Rocky Horror Picture Show was originally released on Sept. 26, 1975, showing lovers Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon) uncovering the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry) after getting a flat tire in a rainstorm. 

Brad and Janet meet a houseful of … interesting characters, including a biker with a saxophone (Meat Loaf), a bizarre butler (Richard O’Brien), and Magenta, the sensual and wild maid. Through elaborate dances and catchy songs, Frank-N-Furter unveils his latest creation: a muscular man named “Rocky.” 

In this explicit production, the shadow cast, composed of individuals dressed to the T of who their characters are, act out everything that is happening on the screen. And, if that isn’t fun enough for you, audience participation (AP) is an essential part of the performance. 

For a low price of $2, viewers are encouraged to purchase a prop bag to help them engage with the show. This bag varies depending on the production, but this particular showing included two playing cards, a glowstick, a noise-maker, toilet paper, and newspaper, all used at a specific point in the film. When Janet is getting rained on, she places a newspaper over her head, along with the rest of the audience. When the iconic line, “There’s a light … over at the Frankenstein place,” rings, the audience raises their glowsticks into the air. 

When Frank-N-Furter reveals Rocky, his beautiful creation of a perfect man, the audience uses their noisemakers to mimic the Transylvanians. If you want to know the rest of the AP commands, you’ll just have to attend an event of theirs. No worries if you’re a Rocky Horror virgin, they have signs telling you when to use your props. And, if all else fails, just look at the person next to you! Just remember to never throw the props at the stage actors – just like musicians, they can be injured and distracted by flying objects. Always throw the props in the air, at other audience members, or behind you. 

But that isn’t where the fun ends. The audience is encouraged to yell out obscenities during the showing, constantly calling Janet a slut and Brad an asshole. Those characters aren’t the only victims; however, the poor narrator gets bombarded with “No neck! Where’s your neck?” every time he speaks. 

The audience is encouraged to dress to the occasion, and Moravian students did not disappoint, outfitted head-to-toe in fishnets, lingerie, Doc Martens, mesh shirts, and leather. During the “Time Warp” Dance, everyone gets up and enters the aisles to join the cast in their dancing, and the audience is encouraged to yell out tasteful (or as graceful as they can get!) heckles. 

The event was an amazing time, as usual, and I’m sure I speak for everyone when I thank Spaced Out Sensations for doing this production. I can’t wait to see you again in all your fishnet glory next year! 

View Comments (1)