Reeves Library Hosts Haunted Tours of South Campus

Photo courtesy of Liz Kameen. From left to right: Tour guide Colin Core, sophomores Kylie Dowd, Liz Kameen, Mary West, professor Chris Hassay, senior Gianna Tully, and junior AJ Minnich.

On Oct. 30 and 31, Reeves Library student workers hosted their Haunted Tour of South Campus buildings for the first time. With Moravian ranking as one of the top haunted schools in America, the tour guides had many tales to pull from. 

The tours were led by library workers Colin Core, Joel Hendricks, Rachel Korb, and Ebony Saccento, who took turns guiding the groups through the allegedly haunted spaces. 

The Brethren’s House, which currently serves as the art and music building, was converted into a hospital for American soldiers during the Revolutionary War. Some previous students claimed to hear the sudden sound of gurneys rolling over the floorboards above them, as loud as a train passing by.

The tour guide also discussed the allegedly haunted past of Main Hall, an all-girls dormitory also located on South campus. 

The hall opened in 1854 for single women and is said to shelter three ghosts, which multiple students have encountered. One of these ghosts includes a cat, which students regard as a warm and comforting presence. Other Main Hall ghosts in residence include a Revolutionary War nurse, a friendly old couple, and a little girl known by the name of Emily. 

One of the Main Hall paranormal stories involves a student who was sleeping on the bottom bunk bed, later looking up at the top bunk to see an evil-looking, unknown face. When she got up to see what it was, the top bunk collapsed onto the bottom. Some believe that Emily took the shape of a monster to save the student from serious injury, or even death. Some students think that Emily is able to shapeshift and move things off desks, often acting as a mischievous child. 

Also in Main Hall, there is a mirror inside the Sister’s Dormitory thought to display the reflection of an older couple, only visible when two soulmates sit on the couch looking into the mirror.

The tour was approximately 45 minutes long and included various stories of alleged ghosts on North campus, as well.

In what is now the Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority House, which was once an estate house, a maid became pregnant by the owner. When the homeowner found out that his maid was pregnant, he threw her down the stairs, killing her in the process. 

Her ghost is still known to haunt the building, specifically targeting men, flipping over pictures that include men, or even cracking the glass frame right over the male’s face in a picture.