Commuter Corner: Transitioning to Commuter Life

Photo courtesy of Lola Offenback.

The transition from residential living to commuting can be both challenging and beneficial. These two different living situations truly do transform a student’s college experience. Let’s talk about things to keep in mind when considering making this transition. 

First, keep in mind that you will be spending less time on campus. This changes the amount of time you can dedicate to clubs, organizations, work-study jobs, fraternities/sororities, and socialization on campus. If you are very involved, you may need to consider cutting back when you begin commuting. 

While I have not made this transition, I know firsthand that my peers who dorm can commit more time to these activities. Depending on the length of your commute, you are losing time while making the trip to campus. This is time that other students can dedicate to activities, so don’t feel bad for being ‘less involved’ than students who dorm. 

Staying with this train of thought, socialization becomes harder. It is difficult to make last-minute plans because commuters often have to plan well in advance when they will be on campus and how they utilize their time on campus. Rather than making last-minute plans, commuters often have to plan social activities along with the rest of their schedule. 

One of the places that can benefit from transitioning to commuter life is your finances. By living at home, you can save significant amounts of money that would otherwise go towards dormitory expenses and mandatory meal plans. 

Keep in mind there are other consistent costs associated with commuting. You will need to regularly purchase gas and handle regular maintenance such as oil changes, brake pads, and other miscellaneous necessities. 

It is more difficult to regularly budget for these costs than to pay a one-time bill for room and board every semester with the rest of your tuition bill. 

When making the transition from resident to commuter, find and utilize the resources available to the commuter student body. These programs are often less promoted but are highly beneficial. 

Programs I utilize are the Commuter Student Association, the Center for Career and Civic Engagement, Reeves Library, the Counseling Center, the Writing Center, and there are many other resources available. 

Making the right decision for you and your situation is of the utmost importance when deciding whether to dorm or commute. Keeping these factors in mind when making this decision will help eliminate doubt and reassure you that you are making the right decision.