The student news site of Moravian College

Rant of the Week: Everyone Gets A Medal

Photo by Kaytlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaytlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaytlyn Gordon

Once upon a time, long long ago, there were no participation medals. No honorable mentions. No made up ties. No winning because you just had fun. There were winners and losers. There was always a first place. And no sense of entitlement.

Hard to believe, isn’t it?

It might sound crazy, but this was also a time when students blamed themselves for bad grades, not their professors. The professor’s word was final and a bad grade simply meant to try harder.

Now, a bad grade seems to be an invitation to barge into professor’s office and demand a retake, because you “deserve” it. This is becoming an epidemic on college campuses, even at Moravian’s, where students no longer take ownership of their work but instead expect professors to lower their expectations.

Just doing the work and studying hard is the obvious solution to becoming better, of course. But increasingly we’re not interested in anything other than projecting the blame for our failures onto someone else. As a consequence, we’re becoming a society of takers. Regardless of how much we give, or how much we are given, we fully expect to take the mile — and more.

We are losing a sense of pride, integrity, and responsibility, and instead gaining a sense of entitlement and privilege, all because of those stupid participation medals.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Rant of the Week: Everyone Gets A Medal”

1. Brian W. Smith on April 19th, 2017 9:41 pm

I couldn’t say it better myself. This is the result of eight years of PC and Obama liberalism. People want to return to the past when Americas exceptionalism prevailed. When you were either won or lost depending on how hard you worked or how good you were. Now that Obamas gone and we have a republican president maybe we can return to life as it used to be.

[Reply]

2. Patrick on April 28th, 2017 4:24 pm

Grade inflation and issues of student entitlement have been in the public eye for decades now, despite Brian’s Obama-fueled fugue state.

“this was also a time when students blamed themselves for bad grades” — students have been complaining about professors’ grading stretching back to the middle ages. And traditionally it’s been (and still largely is) the province of the children of the wealthy, who are used to getting whatever they wanted.

One of the reasons why contested grades are more common now is because tuition has gotten more expensive, and more students have to get financial aid and take out loans to afford it. And since GPA is closely tied to financial aid, the difference between an A and a B, or a C and a D, can be literally the difference between staying in school and being forced out, and possibly finding oneself homeless. The stakes are ever higher for ever more students.

[Reply]

3. Brian W. Smith on May 25th, 2017 11:08 pm

A win or an A in a class is something you ear. We all win or lose in life depending on the situation. I don’t believe in participation medals. Yes maybe this started before Obama but it accelerated greatly this dangerous PC coulture under his watch.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Rant of the Week: Everyone Gets A Medal

News

Three Moravian Alumni Look Back and Encourage Student Activism

Arts & Entertainment

Photo of the Week, Grace Hochella ’19

News

What Do Laptop Stickers Say About You?

Professor Spotlight

The Professor Behind StarWatch: Gary A. Becker

Opinions

Rant of the Week: Housing Selection Process Needs to Change

Community

NORTH vs. SOUTH, PART II: One College, Two Campuses, Ten Voices

Community

Studying Abroad in Reading, England: Pubs, Trains, and other Culture Shocks  

Arts & Entertainment

Beautiful or Beastly? Two Reviewers Consider Disney’s Hit Musical

Arts & Entertainment

Chicago the Musical: A Look at the History

Arts & Entertainment

From Ballet to Hip Hop: MoCo Dance Company Delivers Upbeat Performance