The student news site of Moravian College

Filed under Community, News, Showcase

Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Dear Readers,

The Comenian staff  welcomes you back to campus, with fresh content that voices the concerns of students and updates you on all things Moravian.

This year, we plan to be the same go-to source of news, while also continuing to broaden our content and bolster our coverage of current events.

As a staff, we will be working to improve and increase our content. To do that, we’ll be working with — and learning from — a variety of professionals in the communications fields, from journalists to photographers and videographers. 

We have also made it our goal to expand the staff and include more work from new writers, photographers, editors, graphic designers, videographers, social media experts, and other creative thinkers.

Please join us! The Comenian has an array of available positions.

Want to learn more? Get involved? Come to our first meeting on Thursday, September 14 at 4:00 p.m., in the new Sally Breidegam Miksiewicz Health Science Building, room 106.

The Comenian invites your feedback and ideas for stories you’d like to see. Send us an email ([email protected]) or stop by our new office space in Zinzendorf Hall, room 200.

As always, thank you for reading!

Kaytlyn Gordon

Editor-in-Chief

1 Comment

One Response to “Letter from the Editor-in-Chief”

1. Brian W. Smith on October 31st, 2017 9:26 pm

Ever since about 2014 and especially this year one of the big issues I see on the news is radical groups trying to and even succeeding in tearing down many Historical monuments in this country. First they have taken down a few statues of confederate General Robert E. Lee
    and recently a plaque honoring our first President George Washington. I feel we are allowing radical liberal groups to erase part of our history and I feel they have a more bigger agenda in mind. President Trump was right in saying were does it end. People don’t realize that was a different time where people had a completely different way of thinking and over a period of time society evolved and changes were made for the better for everyone. I’m sure if these early leaders would be alive today they would all embrace the same ideas we all have today of diversity and equality for people of all races. Whats also disheartening is these radicals only look at these historical figures on the surface and don’t understand the whole person and other facts that need to be known about them. Did you know that Lincoln wanted Robert E. Lee to serve in the union army but he only joined the confederacy when his home state Virginia succeded the union and refused to draw a sword or fight against his home state. Did you know that Robert E. Lee hated slavery and called it an evil and also most important that after the war Robert E. Lee peacefully surrendered and him and his wife set up schools for the former slaves and taught them to read and write and help them in their transition to freedom. Is this a man who deserves our condemnation and have his statue removed I’m sorry but no way does he deserve that. If this trend continues other figures of history will be in their sights as there already eyeing up statues of people like Thomas Jefferson and other famous figures from the past. History should be preserved so we can learn from it. There is a good history of the United States and a bad history also but it should always be there and like Gondolezza Rice said if we try to erase it without a reminder of it we are doomed to repeat it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Spotlight on Artist-Lecturer Megan Durham

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Moravian at Cutting Edge of Writing Ed

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

“Welcome, Neighbor” Panel Celebrates Immigrants

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Peace and Justice Scholars in Residence Help Students Change their Minds and the World

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Dr. Frank Kuserk: A Life Fulfilled by the Work He Loved

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Journalist Carl Bernstein Declares America Amid a “Cold Civil War”

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Professor Spotlight: Carmen Ferrero

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Campus Events

Fun at Fall Fest

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Professor Spotlight: Joyce Hinnefeld

• Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Community

Professor Spotlight: Jamie Paxton