Filed under Opinions

Sara Weidner: “Find Your Passion and Follow it”

On my last day as editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper, the Pantherette, I gave these pieces of advice to the underclassmen in my senior editorial:

1. Students need to find a passion and follow it.
  2. Don’t take constructive criticism to heart.
  3. Have ambition, be independent, and be the person to stand alone and stride ahead.

While some of these tips I abide by to this day, there’s been a lot that has changed since then.

During my four years at Moravian, I have grown both as a person and a writer. Now I am aware that getting ahead doesn’t mean you have to do it alone. The relationships I’ve formed with friends, loved ones, and professors have propelled me towards my future more than I could have if I had tried to do everything on my own.

Being an English major has taught me that communication is the bridge that connects us all. We have the power to create words and stories, and share ideas and influence others, in ways that few can. Our talent lies in understanding the human experience, and then relating that experience among others.

As I reflect on my days as editor of my high school’s paper, I can see how far I’ve come. When applying to colleges, I knew I wanted to have some major role in my college’s newspaper as well. After joining The Comenian, I discovered that my passion for English was diverging from the path I had envisioned. After being president of the Zinzendorf Literary Society, I discovered that journalism holds a different meaning in my heart, and I was happy and relieved to take a step back and be a section editor instead of the editor-in-chief.

English is a multifaceted field. While I am in love with it as a whole, there are certain areas that, to me, shine more brightly than others. For instance, public relations and event planning have taken the front seat as my favorite side of the English major. Although, I truly believe that starting out at the Pantherette was a necessary step, and it greatly influenced the type of English major I became. My love and passion for writing, reading, and inspiring others with the written word stemmed from the first English club I had ever joined–my high school newspaper. I have journalism to thank for inspiring me to pursue English as a major in college.

My new advice for underclassmen then, is this:

1. Have courage to pursue your passion — don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. And if they do, prove them wrong.
  2. If you dedicate yourself wholly and entirely to your passion, then you will succeed and be recognized for your accomplishments.
  3. Make time for friends. When you think you’re at the bottom-most pit of hopelessness, true friends will be there with a rope to pull you out into the light.

We are small creatures in the eye of the universe, but we can do some pretty incredible things. Let your story be one of them.