The Comenian Responds to The Woke Coalition

Photo courtesy of Mark Harris.

In a March 22 post to its Instagram page, The Woke Coalition accused The Comenian of “attempt[ing] to silence marginalized voices” because we “refused to publish [the] article” they submitted to us. 

While we welcome all views from the Moravian College community, we must point out some inaccuracies in the Coalition’s post. 

The Comenian solicited the article from the Woke Coalition precisely because we wanted marginalized voices to be heard in the paper. 

What we have done is what good journalism requires: As editors, we routinely ask writers to clarify and explain their positions. The Woke article was still in the middle of that editorial process, in which editors and writers go back and forth, working to create the strongest work possible. We were preparing additional edits for the writer to consider when Woke made its Instagram post. 

To be clear: At no point did we tell the writer we would not publish the article. 

We understand that the writer may have felt frustrated at the slow pace of the editorial process. To that we say that we wanted to take care to ensure that the writer’s piece was as strong as it could be, accurately reflecting their view while also clearly explaining that view to the wide readership of the paper. 

Our staff also saw in the Woke editorial the need to review our policy for editorial submissions. We felt the need to do this not so much because of the content in the Woke submission, but because of the responses it will likely generate, including those that may be offensive, hurtful, and inaccurate. We wanted our editorial policy to be clear on the kind of content The Comenian will and will not publish. You may read our revised policy here

One of our goals as the newspaper of the Moravian College student body is to diversify our team of writers and contributors and the content we publish. Everyone — regardless of race, creed, sexuality, and gender identity, among many others — is welcome to participate at The Comenian. 

Our meetings this semester are held via Zoom every Wednesday at 5:00 PM. We invite you to join us! 

To be added to our email list, please contact us at [email protected]

Sincerely, 

The Comenian editors