The student news site of Moravian College

Filed under Politics

The 2016 Election: Many Moravian Students Sitting This One Out

With the election right around the corner, how does the student body feel about this year’s presidential candidates? We surveyed approximately 100 students to find out.

Most students were hesitant to reveal who they were supporting. Some rolled their eyes and sighed in disgust over the “lesser of two evils” decision they had to make.

One group of students were adamant in their support of Trump, noting that, because their families supported the Republican Party, they felt a certain responsibility to side with the Republican candidate. On the other hand, students who supported Clinton seemed hesitant to advocate for her due to her private email server controversy.

More surprising, however, were the number of students who were not interested in voting in this year’s election at all.

Of the 102 students we surveyed, 19 favored Trump, 26 supported Clinton, 3 were undecided, and 2 were voting for a third party. And then there were the nonvoters: whopping 34 of them.  

The reason for so many students not voting? Perhaps, because, according to Kyle, a senior, “It’s crazy how the political process has brought these two unqualified candidates together.” Or, maybe, according to Cristina, also a senior, “It’s a hot mess. It’s very petty.”

Whatever the reason, it seems that the majority of students who commented on this year’s election described it as a “joke.” As Jonathan, a junior, put it, “With a lot of things going on, [the election] is just becoming its own reality TV show.” Emily, a senior, concurred: “It’s pitiful. I’m a little unimpressed with what the country has to offer.” 

There may be some truth to what this small sample of comments provided: Many students are not sure whom to vote for because of the hot-topic media scandals surrounding Trump and Clinton. A passing comment by Tamara, a junior, seemed to best sum of the sentiment: “It’s really about a lesser of two evils.”

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The 2016 Election: Many Moravian Students Sitting This One Out”

1. Stacey Zaremba on November 3rd, 2016 4:42 pm
  2. Miatoo2 on November 4th, 2016 12:51 pm

I am happy that your took a survey of students and their heartbeat ..feelings about the election, the process, their conflict of the canidates themselves.

Theses are the same feelings that many much older Americans are feeling and have been wrestling with for months.

However I am shocked and saddened to learn of the percentage of students who may simply not vote at all.

Have you forgotten that men and woman before you fought long and hard battles so you had the RIGHT to vote? Is it that you think it doesn’t matter? It matters because you CAN and I am not only speaking of this Presidential election.

You have the right to FREELY vote for the candidate of your choice. Millions around the world do not have the same rights as Americans. Don’t start your young adult life with a pattern of disengagement and cynicism. It is true that you are our future. Get engaged, debate, research and vote every election.

#Iwillstepoffmysoapbox

[Reply]

3. Kelly Grab '11 on November 4th, 2016 11:58 pm

The “lesser of two evils” rhetoric is tiresome and lazy. Moravian students can engage in more thoughtful arguments than that… As a young alum I know your faculty are pushing for more substance.

Now, that being said… just leaving this here: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-newsletter-clinton-trump-marijuana-prop-64-20160922-snap-htmlstory.html

Most criticism of Secretary Clinton is rooted in sexism. Let’s just name it, push past it, and really talk about the issues here.

And of course everyone should vote! What a privilege it is to choose not to vote because the risks in. It doing so are so small for white, Christian, heterosexual, cis-men.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The 2016 Election: Many Moravian Students Sitting This One Out

News

Tuition-Free Public College Is Not A “Free Lunch”

News

The Future of the Affordable Care Act: A Conversation with Professor Sabrina Terrizzi

News

Democracy Looks Like: The Women’s March on Washington

News

Trump is President: What Should We Do Now?

News

A CNN Analyst’s Take on the Trump Presidency

Politics

First Debate Injects Contention into Upcoming Election

News

Moravian Students Travel Abroad to Understand Japan

Community

Professor Spotlight: Christopher Jones

Community

Moravian College Becomes a Little More Revolutionary with New Doctoral Program in Athletic Training

Opinions

Swastikas in Elevators: Moravian’s Bias Response and Intervention Team Has Their Work Cut Out for Them