Restaurant Review: Rockin’ With Rakkii Ramen!

Photo courtesy of Fatimah Bouri
Photo courtesy of Fatimah Bouri

I adore Japanese cuisine, and Rakkii Ramen offers some of the best Japanese dishes and delicacies in our area! With their wide variety of ramen dishes to their soft desserts, there’s something for everyone to enjoy here! 

Located in South Bethlehem, near SteelStacks, this quaint establishment is adored with warm white lighting and a cozy aesthetic that is soothing for the soul. The array of wooden booths and tables for large parties is also impressive, considering its size. 

Going there on a Saturday evening with some close friends, it was as if we dined like royalty. Not only was the service outstanding – shoutout to our modest waiter, Lorick, and our attentive server, Hannah – but the cuisine itself was spellbinding and appetizing! 

As someone who doesn’t eat pork, I was relieved and thankful for the soup and appetizer options with chicken and beef instead. I was so enamored with the Karaage chicken, a juicy, spicy appetizer drizzled in bold-and-sweet gochujang sauce and topped with sesame seeds. I tend to gravitate toward savory and spicy foods, so this dish was everything I could ask for in a light starter, and I physically had to stop myself from ordering another round. It’s also so fitting to eat right before indulging in a hearty bowl of ramen. 

For my main dish, I ordered the Osaka Beef Ramen, a piquant soup with noodles, vegetable broth, stewed beef, scallions, and bok choy (cabbage). Usually, waiters supply you with chopsticks and a wooden spoon to enhance the experience, but you can also ask for a fork if you want. Even as I (noticeably) struggled using chopsticks, I savored every part of this delectable soup. I don’t really like vegetables, yet I found myself happily eating the scallions and bok choy like my life depended on it. 

After the main course, I decided to try their selection of desserts. I tried the Yuzu Special, a sweet, silky cheesecake-type dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and can I just say what a perfect treat to have after soup? I was beyond soothed and satisfied after eating such a soft delicacy like it! I also tried my friend Anna’s dessert, the mango crepe cake, which was both satisfyingly tangy, and flakey. 

All my friends can attest to enjoying their meals as well! My friends Alex and Cat, self-proclaimed picky eaters, ordered the chicken paitan ramen and fried chicken curry, respectively, and were tremendously impressed! I can wholeheartedly say we all left content and starry-eyed!

Also, they have plenty of vegetarian options like edamame (soybeans in a pod) and vegetable ramen. 

If you want an immensely pleasant, mellow dining experience, I couldn’t recommend Rakkii Ramen more! Even as a small location, it’s pretty popular among students. The prices are reasonable, especially with the amount of food you get. Also, if you have $40 to spare, you can even try the ramen challenge, where you have to finish a bowl in under eight minutes! If you succeed, your bowl is free, and you even get a $25 gift card! 

“Rakkii” means “lucky” in English, and I was so lucky to try this place!

Rakkii Ramen is located at 328 S New St in Bethlehem, and their phone number is 610-419-8007