What Hispanic Heritage Month Means to Me: Collin Cabral-Castro (’26)

Collin and Casandra Cabral-Castro

As someone of Portuguese and Cape Verdean descent with only loose Hispanic connections, Hispanic Heritage Month still holds a unique significance in my cultural perspective.

While my direct link to Hispanic heritage may be somewhat tenuous, this month provides a valuable opportunity to express my admiration for the rich and diverse traditions that form the tapestry of Hispanic cultures.

It allows me to connect with the shared values of family, community, and heritage that resonate deeply within both Portuguese and Hispanic societies. Exploring the art, music, cuisine, and history of Hispanic communities during this time enriches my understanding of the cultural bonds that tie us together, not only within the Iberian Peninsula but across the broader Hispanic world. Hispanic Heritage Month fosters a sense of unity and a shared appreciation for the vibrant heritage that has influenced and continues to shape our global society.

Additionally, this month serves as a reminder of the importance of inclusivity and celebrating the mosaic of identities within the Hispanic community. It is a time to acknowledge the Afro-Latino, Indigenous, and LGBTQ+ voices and contributions that are often underrepresented but have played a vital role in shaping Hispanic culture.

It calls for unity and solidarity among all individuals who identify with Hispanic heritage, regardless of their specific background or circumstances.