What Hispanic Heritage Month Means to Me: Karen Martinez (’26)

Karen+Martinez
Karen Martinez

In all honesty, Hispanic Heritage Month has been something that has gone unnoticed to me throughout my life. After all, why celebrate a month when I live it every day? It was something I never reflected on too heavily and, for some time, would not realize when it came and went.

Before attending Moravian University, I was constantly surrounded by my heritage: at home, in my neighborhood, and at my schools. I was never aware of my identity as a first-generation American and college student up until I became a student at Moravian in 2022.

It was almost like a culture shock coming into a predominantly white institution (PWI), but because of this sudden realization of my identity, made me more aware of how important it is to me and how much I want to preserve it.

I find it important to make connections with other underrepresented students at Moravian and also create safe spaces for us and incoming students, especially Latino students, as I am one.

I have been able to create and participate in the few Latino clubs and events that Moravian has to offer through Spanish Club and now being a Treasurer for our upcoming Latino Rhythm Club. I am grateful to be able to share my heritage and culture with fellow Latino students, and also educate and share it with curious students who may be unfamiliar with the various Latino cultures.

As I become more aware of my identity, Hispanic Heritage Month has become a celebration that I will continue to nurture, respect, and share, and I hope to not only spread this celebration among my peers but with all the people I will encounter outside of our University. It is a celebration that I am grateful to live with every day of my life and I will continue to share it no matter what month it is.