‘School Spirits’ Review

Spirits and Suspicions
Photo courtesy of IMDb.
Photo courtesy of IMDb.

Initially, School Spirits was exclusive to the streaming service Paramount+, but the series later found its way to Netflix, one of the leading streaming platforms. I hadn’t planned to watch the show due to the lack of access to Paramount+, but the intriguing storyline piqued my interest. As a dedicated Disney Channel viewer, I immediately recognized Peyton List, who stars in the show, from her previous role as Emma in the show Jessie.

This high school drama is a refreshing take on this genre, offering a masterful blend of humor, heart, and relatable moments. By incorporating elements of mystery, drama, and even comedy, viewers remain captivated from start to finish. This series captures the essence of the high school experience with the diverse cast of characters who navigate their own challenges. It’s also an authentic portrayal of teenage life, from the ups and downs of friendships and relationships to the pressure of academics and extracurricular activities. 

School Spirits balances comedic moments with genuine emotional depth, making it a compelling and binge-worthy series for viewers of all ages. It also highlights important themes such as identity, acceptance, and the power of community without it feeling too cheesy like some other show that I won’t mention in this review. These themes are woven seamlessly into the narrative, adding depth and resonance to the overall story plotline. 

The premise of School Spirits this show revolves around Maddie Nears played by List, the main character, as she navigates her way through the afterlife, unaware of the circumstances that lead to her demise, the identity of her killer, or the motive behind the act. 

Throughout the series, you encounter a cast of characters, including Maddie’s two closest friends from her previous life, Nicole Herrera and Simon Elroy. Together, they embark on a journey to uncover the truth behind Maddie’s demise while struggling with their own hidden truths. In addition, you meet other spirits trapped within the boundaries of the school with their own complex backgrounds and stories of how they met their own demise. Wally, Charley, Rhanda, and Mr. Martin are among these spirits, each contributing to the mysterious atmosphere with their unique histories about their demise. 

The soundtrack in this show is fantastic and has made its way onto my daily playlist! From the haunting melodies to upbeat anthems, the songs evoke emotion and atmosphere, further immersing viewers into the world of this show.

I found myself binge-watching all eight episodes while pulling an all-nighter to complete my class assignments. With news of a confirmed second season, I couldn’t be more thrilled. This show has me eagerly anticipating its return like no other series! Considering the cliffhanger they left us with, I’m craving to know more about the show. 

To be completely honest, I’m not particularly fond of thrillers, and I usually try to steer clear of them, especially anything in the horror genre. I’m not a fan of feeling scared. On another note: Milo Manheim’s portrayal of the character Wally. The evolution of his character throughout the series was delightful to witness, partially because he initially seemed like the stereotypical jock. It was refreshing to see him embrace other aspects of his personality. I’m definitely rooting for more screen time for Wally in the upcoming season. He deserves it. 

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention Maddie’s “boyfriend” when she was alive, Xavier. I couldn’t stand his character at all. Why was he such a catch in the school? He felt like a very one-dimensional character. His piercing blue eyes were unsettling and a little traumatizing. He also comes across as a wannabe Twilight actor, trying to channel Edward Cullen’s vibes without the benefit of sparkling skin. 

School Spirits is a must-watch series that delivers on all fronts. With its captivating plot, well-drawn characters, and thematic depth, it offers a refreshing and engaging take on the supernatural genre. Whether you’re a fan of mystery, drama, or the supernatural, School Spirits has something for everyone, making it a standout addition to Paramount+’s and Netflix’s lineup. So, grab your popcorn – or favorite snack, turn down the lights, and prepare to be spellbound by the compelling world of School Spirits. I give it a 9/10.