Professor Spotlight: Douglas Zucco

Douglas Zucco, a Moravian College adjunct professor of art.

Douglas Zucco is an adjunct art professor at Moravian College who teaches studio art and printmaking. He earned his B.F.A at Kutztown University and an M.F.A. at The University of Georgia. 

What inspired you to go into your field of study?

I don’t know if it was inspiration in the traditional sense. I think it was just something I was good at, and I got some positive feedback from my peers.

What projects are you currently working on?

I just organized a show in Lithuania. It’s an international show with four Romanian printmakers and four American printmakers. We`re responding to the poetry of Emily Dickinson and Lucian Blaga. Four Romanians are using Emily Dickinson as their influence for their visual work, and four Americans are using Lucian Blaga for theirs. 

What do you think is the most recent important development in your field of study?

Unfortunately, I don’t think there has been any one specific development or leap forward. I don’t think that [the field] is  moving forward as fast as it could. I [also] think [there are] drags on creativity right now that I won’t go into, but I don’t know if it’s moving forward that rapidly. 

What job would you have if you couldn’t be a professor, regardless of salary and job outcome? Why?

I would like to work outdoors, either in building or construction because I like to be out in the environment.

What do you know now that you wished you knew when you were in college?

Education comes in a lot of forms and it doesn’t necessarily have to be in the form of structured higher education. You can achieve your educational goals through that route or as more of an independent adventure.

What is your biggest student pet peeve?

Maybe an issue with work ethic. But when I look at where I was when I was a student, maybe it’s not as drastic of a peeve as it seems. I don’t know if I have a lot of pet peeves, but there are obstacles that students today sometimes face that weren’t as drastic or hard to overcome as they were when I was a student.

What was the last streaming show that you binge-watched or the last good book that you read?

I`ve been reading Susan Bauer and her books on world history. They’re fascinating, and I really do respect her insight and her balance in looking at history and her abilities to put history into context. I like to binge-watch the “Bob Newhart Show” from when he was a psychologist — the first “Bob Newhart Show.”

What is something interesting about you that most people don’t know?

I’m a very sensitive person, and, like all people do, I try to hide that. 

What’s your spirit animal and why?

I haven’t given it that much thought, but I’d maybe say a moose. I always liked Rocky and Bullwinkle, and I always admired Bullwinkle because he serendipitously would solve problems without really consciously trying to. 

If you could collaborate with one artist, dead or alive, who would it be? Why?

I’ve collaborated with her before, but I would collaborate with my wife, Helene. She has an amazing sense of art and what works. She knows me really well, and she’s the hardest person to work with. But when we’re finished we know we did our very best because we did it over and over again. Sometimes that’s what I really need. It’s not always about working with someone famous who’s going to catapult you forward; it’s about the true sense of creating something that you feel is what you want.