Restaurant Review: Potts’: Not Just Any Ol’ Dog

Photo+by+Liz+Kameen.+
Photo by Liz Kameen.

If you have never tasted a hotdog from Potts’ Doggie Shop, then you are sorely missing out. I cannot thank them enough for the number of times a mid-day hot dog has provided me a comfort only comparable to a grandmother’s hug and warm cookies. Located inconspicuously near North campus, with little street parking, it is one of the best local places to walk up to after a long day of classes at Moravian. 

Potts’ is a small family-owned chain in the Lehigh Valley, opening in 1978 and now in their third generation of owners. They have an easygoing atmosphere and a smell that will draw you in from across the street like a floating nose finding the windowsill pie in a cartoon.  

Potts’ is the ultimate comfort food. Bad day? Potts’. Hungry? Potts’. Cold? Potts’ will warm you up on the inside and outside. You know that clip from The Grinch where his heart grows three sizes? That’s me every time I get a bite from there. 

So, we’ve established: the food? Amazing. 

But that’s not the most amazing thing about this joint; my favorite thing about Potts’ is that familiar sense of home I feel as soon as I walk through those doors. Actually, that feeling starts before I even enter those sacred walls. Little anecdote: when I was kid, I would go to a hot dog shop with my parents all the time and it had the same comforting, warm-colored lighting sense of comfort that I never thought I would be reminded of again. 

Every time I get a hot dog from Potts’, I remember that little dancing hot dog on the restaurant’s sign a couple of towns over from my home, and all the good memories that come along with it. It’s almost like a time capsule when you walk into that place: wooden paneled walling with old newspapers and photographs from the 70s framed on the wall; it just feels like a second home. 

Photo by Liz Kameen.

Now, back to the review. Since it’s located so close to North campus, I love walking to Potts’ to grab a dog with some of my friends. Since they’re cash only (and no one carries physical money anymore), one of us usually has to cover for the other’s dog, and I love it. Although a little inconvenient, I’ve always had a friend to cover my order, and one day, I will pass on that torch and pay for one of my friend’s dogs. 

Hot dogs range from $2.50 to $3.50 depending on how many toppings are desired, and there are so many to choose from: their famous Garbage Dog, chili, cheese, bacon, onion, mustard, ketchup, pickle, and sauerkraut. Wow! One thing to note, when you order a “regular” dog or one with “everything on it,” you’re ordering one with mustard, onion, and chili. 

There are not enough words in the English language to describe the complete and utter happiness I feel when I consume a hot dog with a cold soda on a warm day, so I could not be happier to be less than a jump away from this staple of my stomach. 

The employees are so kind, and I have an amazing experience every time I grace myself with a hot dog from this promised land. 

As previously mentioned, be aware that Potts’ is cash only, but there is an ATM located inside the building for customers. 

Potts’ dogs are delicious and delightful to consume, with a light and fluffy bun and dogs that are locally produced and packaged in Reading, PA. My order always comes out hot, fresh, and fast; things that should not be allowed to be concurrent with each other! It’s actually a very impressive set-up; the workers always have hot dogs coming off and on the stovetop, and one time, I swear there were like thirty hot dogs on the grill that kept heading straight out the door with happy customers. 

I do wish that Potts’ had slightly more variety on days that I may be craving perogies or other comfort food staples, but I also think that is what makes Potts’ special: they only do hot dogs because they are SO STINKIN’ GOOD AT IT! 

Potts’ is located at 114 W Fairview St. in Bethlehem, PA 18018, only a few blocks away from North campus. It is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. most days but closes at 7 p.m. on Saturdays and is closed on Sundays. 

So, Potts’ gets my full recommendation in good graces. If you ever need a snack, or just a pick me up on a tough day, go grab a bag of chips, soda, and hot dog from my favorite dog shop. I can wholeheartedly say that Potts’ Doggie Shop ROCKS! 

Rating: 4.5 hot dogs out of 5