The Flying Pig Review: Meat and Cheese Galore

Photo+courtesy+of+AJ+Minnich.+
Photo courtesy of AJ Minnich.

The Flying Pig is one of the best and most disgusting restaurants I’ve ever been to.

Half the menu just displays everything wrong with American food from racks of bacon that drip grease onto garlic bread to double-decker grilled cheeses with bacon, ham, and cheese slathered on top. This place is proof that America is the sweaty armpit of the worldwide culinary scene … but my god, this place is so damn good.

Is the food greasy, cheesy, meaty, and every other adjective associated with American food? Yes. Is the food good? Also yes. A restaurant like this really shouldn’t work because some of the dishes are so ridiculously American that my dad felt physical pain just looking at them.

If this place is everything wrong with American food, then I’m everything wrong with America because I refuse to live in a world where culinary masterpieces like a mac and cheese burger are considered bad.

Put simply, if you want great bar food, you would be hard-pressed to find another place in Bethlehem that’s as good as The Flying Pig.

Whenever I drove past this place, I wondered how this was a sit-down restaurant because the building looks so small, but when I finally ate there, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how comfortable it was inside. Yes, it is a fairly small restaurant, but they make great use of that space to create a warm and welcoming environment.

The service is also great. I went three times in a week (I don’t have a problem, I promise) and the staff were kind and prompt every single time. Our food always came out promptly and when I ordered takeout for six people, the food was done 15 minutes before it said it would be done. The staff are just great and they run an extremely tight ship from my experiences there.

Like I said, the food is everything wrong with American cuisine but if this is everything wrong with American food, then I’m proud to be a part of the sweaty armpit of the world.

I can’t get enough of the food here.

I am a mac and cheese fanatic, so I was excited to try it here, and oh my god, I was not ready. The serving size was absolutely ginormous. I got it for takeout and it filled the box to the absolute brim.

The pasta itself is really good. Their cheese sauce is fantastic with my only issue being that they can put just a tad too much cheese on the mac. Don’t get me wrong, I love my food slathered in cheese but the ratio between cheese and pasta is just a bit off-balance.

I also got the Flying Pig Grilled Cheese which is a double-decker sandwich that comes with a choice of ham or bacon and has their signature cheese blend poured on top of the sandwich.

When this was brought out to me, I was completely flabbergasted because the sheer size of this sandwich is huge. To be frank, you will not be eating this like a normal sandwich so don’t even try. This was the first time I used a fork and knife to eat grilled cheese, but it was worth it because it was the best grilled cheese I’ve ever had. The bacon is absolutely amazing and the bread was simply perfection.

Their soft pretzel is also great. Eating these brings me back to the days when Auntie Anne’s was good. It’s just crispy enough without being crunchy, and the cheese sauce perfectly complements this pretzel.

Overall, I cannot recommend The Flying Pig enough. Every time I go, I am consistently blown away by the offerings they have because everything there is consistently good which is rare for a restaurant. This is easily one of the best restaurants in Bethlehem and I highly recommend going there if you are looking for an affordable place to eat.

The Flying Pig  is located at 1313 Center St, Bethlehem, PA 18018 and their phone number is (610) 871-5150.