Staff Spotlight: Kristin Eicholtz

Photo+courtesy+of+Kristin+Eicholtz.+
Photo courtesy of Kristin Eicholtz.

Kristin Eicholtz has been in the field of higher education for 19 years. She began her professional career working at Virginia Tech as a Career Advisor from 2005-2010. Prior to her start at Moravian in August 2023, she served as the executive director of the career development center at DeSales University for 13 years. Most recently, Eicholtz was awarded the 2021 Distinguished Alumni Award from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and the 2023 SGA Outstanding Staff Award of the Year. She is passionate about the growth and development of her team and her students. Eicholtz has been actively involved with the National Association of Colleges and Employers and Eastern Association of Colleges– serving on various committees and presenting both webinars and conferences. For the past five years, Eicholtz has been engaged with EACE in the roles of co-chair on the EACE conference programming team, co-chair on the EACE conference newcomers event team, and co-leader in the 2022-2023 RFP process.

What is your job title on campus?

Executive Director for Career and Civic Engagement.

What does your job usually entail? What department do you work in? 

I supervise and mentor the Career Center and Civic Engagement staff to best serve the students at Moravian. My team is absolutely incredible and is responsible for everything from planning career fairs to connecting students with alumni, helping students find internships, and offering a variety of opportunities to serve the community. My role is to assist my team in strategic planning, building relationships internally and externally with Moravian, as well as helping them each to grow professionally.

What are some of the unique challenges that come with your position?

Having only started my position at Moravian this past August, I’m still taking my time getting to know the community and learning the culture so I can be my best self for everyone I serve. Overseeing two functional areas is incredibly exciting, and I am thrilled to have this opportunity, but it takes time to learn my team and be present for each of them equally.

What are your favorite aspects of working in your position?

Any opportunity that I have to connect with students. Whether it be through an appointment to help them with their career goals, presenting to a student group, or just friendly, casual conversations in the office or around campus. Seeing students grow during their college experience and then being able to share that when interviewing for a job or applying to graduate school is something special.

What made you decide to work at Moravian?

The community and forward-thinking mindset of the university. During my interview process, I was surrounded by the most amazing individuals who made me feel welcome, asked great questions of me, and followed up afterward. I also was incredibly excited to be part of a culture where students’ career development and opportunities for civic engagement are a priority. It’s nice to see how interconnected offices are here at Moravian, whether it be in the classroom or outside the classroom – collaboration is so present!

What’s an interesting fact about yourself that most people don’t know about you?

I have raced in over ten triathlons and completed a Half-Ironman race in 2015. 

What do you do in your free time or hobbies? 

Spending time with my husband, two step-sons– Brock, 10, and Bodhi, four, and sweet 7.5 lb dog Sunshine (Sunny). I also enjoy riding my bike and taking mini-vacations with my friends.

Are there any interesting projects or things you are working on, even outside of your career?

I was married this past May and am now starting the process of sorting through wedding photos and creating frames and collages to display photos and give as gifts.

Did you plan to work in higher education?

My undergraduate degree was in elementary education (K-6). I completed my student teaching and all my certifications. I always knew my heart was in teaching and helping others, but it wasn’t until my Dean of Students, my mentor at the time, opened my eyes to the field of higher education and teaching in the area of Student Affairs. I went on to get my Master of Arts in Student Affairs in Higher Education and completed my graduate assistantship in the office of Career Development … and that’s where my passion began and flourished. 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

My door is always open for anyone who would like to spend time getting to know me, is in need of a sounding board, or has an idea to brainstorm.