Emerging Leaders Make an Eco-Friendly Fair

A flyer for the Emerging Leaders-sponsored event, the Environment Fair

Moravian College gives many leadership and community service opportunities to the student body. The College prides itself in producing young leaders who give back to the community. Just a short few years ago, I was a senior in high school already looking at different opportunities and clubs that were offered. In the early spring, I received an email inviting me to apply for a program called Emerging Leaders.

The Emerging Leaders Program, also known as Leadership and Service for the Common Good (LDR 110.2 for freshmen and LDR 210.2 for sophomores), is a class and seminar for those who have shown strength and potential to be exceptional leaders in their community.

This program was established in 2004 with the help from the Priscilla Payne Hurd Foundation. Since the initial launch, over 200 Moravian students have participated in this program. “Students are invited to apply based on their high school transcript and application to the college,” said Dr. Schmidt, the current professor of the program. “They write several essays and the essays are reviewed by a team: someone from admissions, me, 3 to 5 current emerging leaders.” Once the students are chosen for a spot, they receive a scholarship for their participation in the competitive program.

During the fall semester, the new freshmen students work with the current sophomores, reading a different book each year that exemplifies good leadership, drawing from each other’s ideas through journal entries and class discussion. They also begin brainstorming about service projects they would like to participate in for the upcoming months. 

I had the opportunity to meet with this year’s group of students to discuss what they were planning for the upcoming weeks. Rachel Riley, ‘22, explained that the group is choosing to focus on current environmental issues. “We’re focusing on four different environmental aspects: how to live sustainably, how to help wildlife, how to protect the ocean, and understand the health care system. We’re aiming to educate people to have better habits so they know how to better help the environment.” They all chose to focus on this area because of the eco-friendly movements in today’s society.

The Environment Fair will take place on Friday, November 15 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the HUB. There will be take-a-ways such as succulents, environmentally-friendly face scrubs, and much more! Stop by the tables to support the emerging leaders and educate yourself on ways to help the environment.