Editor’s Letter (10/1)

Photo courtesy of Nicholas Wan

Dear Readers,

Welcome back to the 10/1 edition of The Comenian!

Can you believe it’s already been over a month since classes started up again? Can you believe The Comenian has released three editions already?! 

I have to commend my staff for their continued hard work in making the paper a success with every new release. We have had an influx of new, talented writers joining our staff and guest reporters contributing to the great work that we do. 

As always, The Comenian encourages any and all with a passion for writing, photography, or videography to attend our meetings and join our incredible staff.

The Comenian meets at 5:00 p.m. every Wednesday via Zoom. Please email [email protected] to be added to our mailing list. 

Recall in my previous editor’s letter that I mentioned the possibility of a paper edition of The Comenian coming out some time in October, so be on the lookout for that. On that note, we are encouraging readers to send in photos of their Halloween costumes, whether they be scary, funny, unique, creative, etc. for a chance to be featured in The Comenian, either in our online or print edition. 

Additionally, we are looking for any ghost encounters or experiences that our readers have had — the more terrifying, the better! Share your stories with us for a chance to be featured in the paper. 

As for this edition of The Comenian, reporter Abby Brisson reports on a groundbreaking story about a student’s rough experience during her on-campus quarantine. This shocking story begs the question of what more Moravian can do to better prepare themselves in case this happens again. 

Alumna Carol Henn (’68) writes about the impact of her Modern British Literature course in our Class that Made a Difference feature.

Reporter Shayla Borger’s rant of the week highlights the shortcomings of the Peer Mentor program on campus and its failures to help students with disabilities. 

An examination of Lot X following the flooding of Monocacy Creek in September, even after Moravian had done work to fix this issue, brings to light the question of whether or not the parking lot is truly viable.

Guest reporter Samuel Does discusses his summer research experience at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, along with a video presentation on his project. 

Our reporters bring us two fantastic reviews for this edition of The Comenian. Take a look at Dominic Trabosci’s review of Lorde’s “Solar Power” album and AJ Minnich’s review of the PlayStation Direct press conference. 

And finally, our copy editor Anna Litofsky presents two pieces: a new comic in her award-winning “Behind the Mask” and a report on attorney Bethany Hamilton’s impactful lecture on health equality and social justice. 

Thank you to our readers for their continued support!

Your Editor-in-Chief,

Nick