Club Spotlight: ECO Club

What is your club about? 

ECO Club aims to promote sustainability and environmentalism around campus. We hold lots of fun events, creating sustainable alternatives to everyday items. We are also involved in serving the community and exploring nature. 

When was your club established?

Our club was established in 2005. 

Who are your current leaders (advisors, president, vice president, etc.)?

Currently, our advisor is Dr. Joshua Lord, our President is Hailey Hoffman, our Vice President is Ayleen Mexquititla, our Treasurer is Eric Foster, our Secretary is Jasmine Danweber, and our Historian is Alondra Cortes. 

When does your club meet?

This semester, we typically meet on Tuesdays at 4:30. 

What is the most popular activity that the campus knows you for?

Our most popular event this semester was our tote bag painting. We hope to see everyone using their custom tote bags rather than single-use plastic bags. 

What are the biggest challenges that your club faces?

The biggest challenge our club faces is student involvement. We have lots of people come to our fun event, but usually, very few students show interest in our service-based or learning activities. 

If you could pair up with another club for an event or project, who would it be?

We love to collaborate with other clubs! So far, we have events planned with the 3D Printing Club and the Comenian. It would be really fun to pair up with Art Club. We could use recyclable materials to make so many different things.  

What is the latest project that your club is excited about?

We have a lot of outdoor activities in the works that we are really excited about. We are also excited for our guest speaker event on 10/24. 

If you had an unlimited budget, what dream project would your club put it towards?

If we had an unlimited budget, we would love to use it for solar panels in an effort to become a zero-emission campus. Currently, Moravian does not have any solar panels, so this would be a great addition to our campus. 

How does your club positively affect the campus community?

ECO Club positively affects the campus community by encouraging students to be more sustainable and mindful of their actions. Our club is also a place where like-minded individuals can come together and voice their concerns about environmental issues.