Editor’s Letter (9/3)

Photo courtesy of Nicholas Wan

Dear Readers, 

Welcome back to the start of another year for The Comenian! 

Quite a bit has changed since last semester, namely that we are now a university instead of a college. This was an exciting change, but I now have to consciously remind myself to tell others that I go to Moravian University rather than Moravian College. 

Another change: we had to bid farewell to some of our phenomenal staff from last year. Knowing them, I’m sure they are all doing well for themselves. 

But one thing that has remained the same: The Comenian continues to provide its readers with exceptional content throughout the course of the semester — as we have done since 1891 and always will do. 

Before getting into the stories we have for this edition of The Comenian, I would like to take a moment to introduce myself. I am Nicholas Wan, a senior Accounting major with a minor in English. I’ve been with The Comenian since November of 2020 and have enjoyed every moment I spent working with this incredible group of people. I am honored to serve as editor-in-chief for this next year. 

For this edition of the paper, we have the following: 

Meet Dr. Dorothee Hou, a new Moravian faculty member, and read about her interesting classes this semester on Chinese cinemas and monsters in Asian culture and her research project about China’s Rust Belt. 

As always, our reporters have produced some excellent pieces. 

Dominic Trabosci returns with another insightful and in-depth review of “Scaled and Icy” by Twenty One Pilots. Allison Ludlow shares her passionate manifesto about climate change, and how she aims to raise awareness of this problem. And Shayla Borger features Dr. Seth Finkle in our popular Professor Spotlight feature. 

Guest reporter Luana Rebello discusses her summer research experience at Hog Island, Virginia. Any student interested in pursuing a career in the sciences will surely appreciate this introduction and learn what to expect from it. 

Dr. Khristian Haddad, a professor in the political science department, and the students in her spring 2021 semester class give advice on how to have better political conversations

This year, we also plan to continue our popular regular features, including Anna Litofsky’s “Behind the Mask” comic, our “Professor Spotlights”, and “The Class that Made a Difference”, so be on the lookout for those! 

We have exciting things planned for this year, including the occasional print edition of the paper and video essays to supplement our written work. I hope our readers are just as excited about the prospect of these ideas as we at The Comenian are!

For those who are interested in joining The Comenian, we are currently looking for writers, editors, photographers, videographers, and graphic designers.

Please join us at our first meeting, on September 8 at 5:00 p.m. via Zoom. Please email [email protected] if interested. 

And of course, I thank our readers for their support of the paper. A lot of work goes into producing new editions of The Comenian, but seeing the positive feedback we get makes it all worthwhile. I hope you all will continue to read and support our work as we enter a new school year.

Your editor-in-chief,

Nick