Hound Highlight: Kaylee Thomas

Photo courtesy of Lola Offenback.
Photo courtesy of Lola Offenback.

Kaylee Thomas is a sophomore chemistry major.  She is the newly appointed Assistant Colorguard Instructor for Moraivan’s marching band, the President and creator of the Swifty Society Club, and a member of the American Chemical Society. She also works at The Gem Shop on Main St. 

What is your proudest accomplishment at Moravian?

So far, it has been creating and running the Swiftie Society Club. It’s my baby. 

Photo courtesy of Lola Offenback.

Why did you choose to come to Moravian?

When I first toured here, Moravian just felt like home to me. I loved the community and the small size of the school and campus. It allows me to make really good connections with others. 

What are your hobbies and passions?

Color Guard, crafting, making bracelets. I have a jewelry side hustle at Point Pleasant Beach at a shop called The Proud Peacock. I am most passionate about cosmetic chemistry, which I hope to pursue a career in after graduation, as well as cruelty-free products.

What is your major? Why did you pick it?

Chemistry. I have always loved makeup and wanted to know how it was made and the process of making it. I always watched makeup videos on YouTube. I wanted to know what chemicals we are putting onto our bodies and how those chemicals affect us. I think it is important to be educated on what you are using and how it is affecting your skin! 

What’s a little-known fact about you?

I have done Color Guard for six and a half, almost seven years now! 

Favorite professor? Favorite class?

That has to be Dr. Shari Dunham (Associate Professor of Chemistry). She is my advisor, and she is honestly like an angel from heaven. She is extraordinarily kind and always there to support her students in any way possible. She is an overall very intelligent woman and I aspire to be like her someday! I would say my favorite class has been Organic Chemistry I Lab, specifically the lab portion of the course. It was a very hands-on and enjoyable experience where I got to apply the skills that I had learned in the lectures. 

What is your favorite thing to eat on campus?

Either the turkey carnitas or the regular turkey in The Star. Basically, anything turkey, it’s my favorite food.

Where do you go to study or do homework?

I tend to always go to the biology lounge in the Hall of Science. There are a lot of windows, and I like to look out at the cars right on Main St., and there is a whiteboard that is the length of the wall in there, which is useful. I am more comfortable in there than in the chemistry lounge. 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I encourage everyone to join the Swiftie Society Club! (Email [email protected] to be added to the email list).